Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web Design & Development Web Design & Development
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Web Page Building Confusion about Needs

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 8 posts.

Experience: Beginner
23-Jul-2012, 07:02 PM #1
Web Page Building Confusion about Needs
I need referrals for help building a website. I know what I want but don't have funds to waste trying out different site hosting companies. Where do I start? Is is a .com, org, net or ?. What should I ask. And is there a really good book I can read?
Computer Specs
Member with 141 posts.

Experience: Advanced
23-Jul-2012, 07:41 PM #2
Well it depends on what your website is going to be. Is it going to be something that you're just going to want to display basic images, video, and text? Such as a family website of pictures or a portfolio of your work? Or will it be more dynamic, with things like user accounts and databases? Will you need to reach users in other countries, or just in your country? Do not worry about funds, I run my own website from my home, and it only costs me around $10 a year
Computer Specs
Member with 787 posts.

23-Jul-2012, 08:11 PM #3
If you feel that the sites won't need databases and complex stuff contact your isp(Internet service provider... The people u pay for internet) and ask if they offer hosting some companies offer free space with you Internet plan. then you will just have to Register a domain name. .Com or .Net depends on what you feel is better... Com is more recognized most people will think .com but if you are targeting certain counties for example Australia a .Com.Au would be a best and in England .co.uk
Computer Specs
Member with 8 posts.

23-Jul-2012, 08:15 PM #4
I create custom costumes and sell a limited quantity of standard costumes that I have customized designs of. Such as Renaissance Faire Costumes, St. Pauli Girl, Saloon Girl, Genie, Harem Girl. They are all custom made to order however. I also designed a 7' Dolphin Body Pillow that I offer. So my idea of the ultimate website is, My Resume and Portfolio as a Costume Designer, so if someone creates a character or draws a picture or describes a costume they need, I can submit a bid to design, provide sketches and/or the cost to fabricate the finished product. Or, if they want to do it themselves, I can; for a smaller fee walk them through the project step by step. I would also like to have a ? and answer section (similar to this site), for How do I.... or What would be the best approach to.... or Where can I get.... questions.
I almost had GoDaddy build me a site, but backed out because someone had said that they build the sites for you but then you get no traffic.
So I'm trying to research where, how and the best place to take my $ to if I let someone else do it.
Computer Specs
Member with 141 posts.

23-Jul-2012, 08:35 PM #5
Designing a website like the one you mentioned is not simple. You will most likely need to hire a freelance web designer who has knowledge in PHP, SQL, Javascript, as well as HTML and CSS of course. Stay away from big companies like GoDaddy, the only purpose they are good for is hosting and domain registration, NOT designing your website. Freelance web designers can be found online by a google search. I personally do not have experience in finding freelance designers, as I have always just created my own sites. You may also consider asking local businesses who created their website.

As for your domain name, keep it simple. .COM will work good for your business.
Computer Specs
Member with 787 posts.

23-Jul-2012, 08:39 PM #6
If you want something like this with people being able post things then you will need a database... I personally have never used go daddy to build my site(because I can build my own) but I can't see how using the service would result in no traffic... If you feel that go daddy can't provide the service you require look for some local Web designers in you area they might be able to provide a personal touch and more info.. But remember that they will be trying to make money and normally charge quite a bit
Computer Specs
Member with 8 posts.

23-Jul-2012, 09:05 PM #7
Thank you for your info, I know, only; enough about technologh to be curiously dangerous to myself. So I appreciate the handholding and will be either joining or donating alot to this site. You state you build your own pages, If you would please go to the link below, look at the page, and give me in general your opinion if this could be utilized in the manner I am describing or should I start from scratch? http://www.merchantcircle.com/busine...n.760-459-9165 My ex created/started this page for me. There are some pics of my work, that he put up, however; the word EX says it all. He never instructed me how to utilize or maintain it, or even how to answer questions. He was a techy wiz, who could do anything and when I relocated, I just gave everything up until now. I know its alot to ask, but, for me, it would be a step one.
Computer Specs
Member with 787 posts.

23-Jul-2012, 09:22 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetDizzyBlonde View Post
Thank you for your info, I know, only; enough about technologh to be curiously dangerous to myself. So I appreciate the handholding and will be either joining or donating alot to this site. You state you build your own pages, If you would please go to the link below, look at the page, and give me in general your opinion if this could be utilized in the manner I am describing or should I start from scratch? http://www.merchantcircle.com/busine...n.760-459-9165 My ex created/started this page for me. There are some pics of my work, that he put up, however; the word EX says it all. He never instructed me how to utilize or maintain it, or even how to answer questions. He was a techy wiz, who could do anything and when I relocated, I just gave everything up until now. I know its alot to ask, but, for me, it would be a step one.
The link that you have provided is actually a free service, that allows businesses to post info on there business and allows other people to rate and comment on your business, this allows other people to find you, and deicide if you are trustworthy and good to work with... While it is technically a website, it is not your website... think of is more as a facebook for your business it allows you to give possible customers your info and allows them to talk about you... but you aren't really controlling the site just the one page... in this case you would have to start from scratch if you were to want a full site... but if you are happy with what's there now then you would have to get control of the account with the website http://www.merchantcircle.com/ ... considering that your "EX" set it up though that may prove to be a hassle.
Computer Specs
Member with 141 posts.

23-Jul-2012, 09:25 PM #9
That seems like a page, somewhat like facebook, where a website gives a kind of a template, and you create a page for your business. then you upload photos and whatnot. It's not really your website per se, it's more of a page of a website that you can post on, much like you can buy sections of a newspaper to advertise on. If you would like to just use that as your webpage, I would click on "Help" in the upper right hand corner, and they explain everything on how to use the site, such as how to upload photos and respond to questions. It seems like just sticking with that website is a good idea, as you have people from as far away as NY requesting your services from what I can see in the ask box. All you have to do is figure out how to respond to those messages. I would recommend putting up your company's email in each of your responses, so if a customer has a similar question, they can email you easily.
Rebuilding that page as your own website can work, but it might be more of a project than you are willing to pay for. You have to understand that hosting a website with that degree of complexity (Where you can upload photos and respond to questions) will take literally thousands of lines of code to write, as well as an annual cost to you.
So, if that website works for you, stick to it. Learning how to use it shouldn't be too hard.
Computer Specs
Member with 8 posts.

23-Jul-2012, 10:09 PM #10
I Thank everyone for the help and advice. Looks like I have some research to do. In the meantime, I do believe I will update what has already been done.
I'll probably be back.
Member with 1 posts.

26-Jul-2012, 04:38 AM #11
Hi. As per my knowledge, it is always wise to get help from professionals who have acute knowledge about web designing when it comes to built a web page.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!