Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web Design & Development Web Design & Development
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

EU Cookie Directive

(!)

Member with 326 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
25-Jul-2012, 05:09 AM #1
EU Cookie Directive
Please take a look at the following page http://www.telegraph.co.uk/

Upon launch of the web page you should see a message appearing in the bottom left hand corner alerting you to the use of cookies and allowing you the option to accept or decline. The message also includes a link to view the web sites' privacy policy page.

Okay, so I would like to add something similar to my web site, and to this end have been looking at various free open source options available. The main difference between the free open source scripts and the ones used by The Telegraph, and also by The Guardian newspapers, is that the free scripts appear to completely block access to the web site unless the visitor chooses to select opt in, whereas the scripts used on the newspaper web sites appear on the screen, thus allowing the visitor the option to choose whether to opt in/out, and then, should the visitor decide to completely disregard the message, it simply disappears and allows browsing to continue as normal.

Being no expert on the new EU cookies directive (in fact, most people I have spoken to about this new directive have never even heard of it, despite it having apparently come into force earlier this year) I am not certain whether the script/s being used by the two newspaper web sites actually fulfil the requirements of the directive, and whether the free scripts that actually block complete access until a decision is made by the user, is the proper way forth.

Perhaps, like me, those who operate the newspaper web sites might consider that they'd receive less visitors if they make it too difficult for people to gain access. I mean, let's be honest, having check boxes and similar options popping up at page launch can and does tend to put people off viewing at all. So, if I can get by with the first option, i.e: informing a visitor of cookie policy, whilst still allowing full access to the site should they choose to ignore to opt in/out, then this would be my first choice.

To this end, can anyone suggest how I might go about finding a free open source script that will fulfil these requirements?

Ideally, any script needs to be very simple to integrate into my existing source code, as I do not have any real understanding of Javascript (although I do understand HTML and css).

Furthermore, it would be ideal if the script could initially launch on each and every page of my web site so that a visitor is guaranteed to see it no matter what their entry page may be. However, once they have chosen to opt in/out, or ignore the message, they are not then presented with it again each time they open another page of the same site during the same browsing session. Also, it would be good if, depending on their chosen action, the same message does not appear again when this visitor next visits the same site for a specified period of time - let's say a month, or a year.

I am not sure how these last options might be achieved, as I have no real understanding of databases, mysql, etc. so any solution must be as simple to implement as possible.

I do hope someone is able to offer some help on this.

All advice gratefully received.
Member with 326 posts.

26-Jul-2012, 05:22 AM #2
EU Cookie Directive - advice gratefully received
Although there appears to be a quite a lot of information available on the web relating to the new EU cookie directive, I have read that there are a good many people who remain completely unaware of its existance.

From the absence of replies to this post, I am guessing that there's not many people who have actually worked with the necessary source code to fulfil this requirement either.

So, to hopefully help get the ball rolling with this thread, I have done a bit more Googling and have come up with this:

http://www.wolf-software.com/downloa...gins/jconsent/

and this:

https://github.com/phuu/jquery.cookieConsent

Let's focus on the first link - jConsent: which, by all accounts, when properly integrated into the existing source of a web site, creates a horizontal bar running across top or bottom of page and saying something like:

Do you consent to receiving non-essential cookies? We use these to aid in improving and maintaining our website. We will remember this preference until you close your browser.

Now all of this is just fine and dandy, but for those like myself, who are blessed with less than an average understanding of Javascript, there is not not much in the way of an explanation (in very simple terms) provided with this free GPLv3 download to answer all of the many questions one might have relating to its instalation.

Anyway, I decided to give it a chance and proceeded to download jConsent, decompressed the file using winzip and proceeded to read the index page provided.

Okay, so there is a section outlining how the script works, which is pretty helpful as far as it goes, but in my humble opinion there isn't enough information when it comes to the following points:

Apparently there is basic usage and advanced usage, both of which require a supplied block of code copying and pasting between the <head> and </head> tags.........

.......only where between the <head> and </head> tags?

Does it matter where?

I have read on other similar sites, offering similar code, that each individual cookie-generating script running on a given web page must be wrapped in a section of code and linked to the main script so as to stop the generation of a cookie until the visitor has been given the option to opt in/out. However, I remain unclear as to whether this is necessary with the jConsent script. If so, how is this achieved, and what code should I use to wrap the individual cookie scripts?

The help page for jConsent also includes a section headed: How do I read the cookie?

What does this mean to me?

Where (or where not) on my page do I include this cookie reading code?

If not on my web page, where and how is it used?

Moreover, why should I need to use it?

Perhaps I am just dense beyond all belief, but isn't the checking process automatic, or does it mean I am responsible for manually checking every single visitors preferences?

Oh, one other thing. From reading the help page provided with other similar scripts, it is my understanding that for those visitors who choose to opt in or out of the cookie consent, a record needs to be stored, either on my system, or on their system, meaning that when they return to my site on some future occasion, and should they have chosen to opt in, they will not be greeted with the same nag screen?

How do I go about making this happen?

Presumably I have either to send a cookie which is stored on the visitors computer, or to save the results in some form of database on my server, both of which being processes of which I have absolutely no knowledge or understanding.

Another important question is that by adding all of this javascript to the source code of my web site, is this likely to mean that the source code will no longer comply with WC3 validation?

If so, how can this be overcome?

You know, it strikes me that before this new directive came into force, some form of simple, free, open source solution could have been made available to everybody, which could then have be included into web sites by even the least technically-minded person.

Unfortunately, unless I, and many others like me, remain completely ignorant to its existance, nothing as simple as this has actually happened.

Okay, so there is, as already mentioned, a lot of free stuff available to fulfil this purpose if you go looking for it, but even with my reasonable knowledge of html and css, I am working at the extremes of my understanding when it comes to including Javascript/s, so how anyone with zero knowledge of coding is supposed to get this problem sorted is completely beyond me. Even my own paid web host points its users to the jConsent script, and explains nothing about how to get this set up and working.

I can only guess that all this has added even more stress to a whole lot of peoples lives.

Without prejudice, and with the greatest of respect for those who understand more than myself, all of the above might lead one to ponder whether what a large part of this is really all about raising more revenue from charging thousands, if not millions, of non-technically-minded web site owners to get their site set up with this new code. Whilst a good idea in principle, it's probably no wonder this new directive is apparently so unpopular with a fair proportion of those I have seen writing about it.

Now, if you just happen to have spent time reading through this post and happen to be blessed with more technical knowledge than I, please could you spare a moment to answer any of my questions, which might help not only myself, but also other less 'teckie' individuals like me who might read this in the future.

Any advice and assistance gratefully received.

Last edited by howard.a.s; 26-Jul-2012 at 06:05 AM..
Member with 326 posts.

26-Jul-2012, 06:55 AM #3
More on EU Cookie Directive
Seems I am pretty good at responding to my own posts, so here's a further update.

I came across this while continuing my research into a possible script to fulfil the requirements of this new law:

http://www.openglobal.co.uk/articles...directive.html

The above page contains a widget which can be included into the source of each web page and which generates a simple message at the top of the screen.

I have included the script into a test web page and tried it through the WC3 validator - the result being that it passes successfully!

So, this may possibly serve the purposes of those looking for a simple solution?

Any comments?
Computer Specs
Member with 787 posts.

Experience: Advanced
26-Jul-2012, 07:30 AM #4
You know it's a good thing you posted on this.. i hadn't heard anything about it... I'm not in EU... but still very interesting... will certainly stay in Australia till this blows over lol
Computer Specs
Member with 1,722 posts.

26-Jul-2012, 07:59 AM #5
You can paste that piece of Javascript anywhere between the head tags providing it is contiguous, so don't then paste anything in the middle of the code.
Member with 326 posts.

26-Jul-2012, 08:10 AM #6
Quote:
You can paste that piece of Javascript anywhere between the head tags providing it is contiguous, so don't then paste anything in the middle of the code.
Is the piece of Javascripts code you mention the jConsent code or the OpenGlobal?
Member with 326 posts.

26-Jul-2012, 08:14 AM #7
Quote:
You know it's a good thing you posted on this.. i hadn't heard anything about it... I'm not in EU... but still very interesting... will certainly stay in Australia till this blows over lol
G'day mate! Immunity due to geographical location. Brilliant!
Member with 326 posts.

26-Jul-2012, 11:08 AM #8
More information relating to EU Cookie Directive
Thought it might be worth posting this link relaing to the EU Cookie Law: http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/14640
Computer Specs
Member with 1,722 posts.

26-Jul-2012, 11:31 AM #9
The jconsent code is what i was on about.
Member with 326 posts.

26-Jul-2012, 02:02 PM #10
Thanks for your reply. I'm going to give both scripts a try to see which one best suits my site. I shall be posting back with further updates to this thread and will also supply a link to the page which I am creating, complete with this new script included and working, just as soon as I get this completed and hopefully within the next seven to ten days, so moderators, please don't close this thread, or mark it as solved.
Member with 326 posts.

30-Jul-2012, 09:03 AM #11
More information found relating to this post:

http://trial.sitebeam.net

If you are not certain whether your website serves cookies, or what each cookie is called, the above web site provides a simple way of checking.

Enter your web site url and an email address and run the test. Copy the results to notepad for future reference.

I have to say that since running the test I have not been flooded by spam mail from this site, so seems okay.

Also, I have tinkered around with the source code provided by:

http://cookieguard.eu/Default.aspx#theCode

When generating the CookieGaurd code for your web site, you will be prompted to insert the details of each of the individual cookies served by your web site, which you can copy and paste from the notepad doc you saved earlier.

Insertion of the code is easy. Just paste it between the <head> and </head> tags of each of your web pages and the script should run okay. If it doesn't, it may be because you need to insert the following line of code, also in between the head tags:

<script src='http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.7/jquery.min.js'></script>

More to follow.......
Member with 326 posts.

16-Aug-2012, 05:47 AM #12
Just a quick update to this thread. I am still working towards the completion of my web site, which will include the EU Cookie Directive banner that has been the topic of this thread. Once the site is ready, I will post back with a link to show the completed page.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!