Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web Design & Development Web Design & Development
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

RSS Feeds and competitors content?

(!)

Member with 32 posts.

28-Jul-2012, 04:53 PM #1
RSS Feeds and competitors content?
Scenario: We have a MMA (mixed martial arts) website and want to post breaking news as it happens. We found that subscribing to a related RSS feed of an existing established MMA website (like sherdog.com) will allow us to post the same news to our website.

Using an AUTOBLOGGER we can pull from the feed and it will auto post their latest news to our website/blog.

Can anyone confirm if there is a copyright issue using this method?

Thanks!
Computer Specs
Member with 787 posts.

Experience: Advanced
28-Jul-2012, 07:54 PM #2
Quote:
2012 All Rights Reserved. Sherdog.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC.
CraveOnline Media, LLC is a division of AtomicOnline, LLC, an Evolve Media Corp. company.
so yes... The thing with a blog...(and this is one) is that someone takes the time to sit down and write it... it might even be there job, anything they write is theirs... you need to contact someone at sherdog.com and ask... go to http://www.sherdog.com/contact and fill out the contact form, explaining that you want permission to repost, the content from "latest news" online and explain that you would like to speak to the person who could authorize... this this will likely be a long process to get to the person you need to speak to... they may be at the parent company...
Member with 32 posts.

28-Jul-2012, 08:21 PM #3
Then what the heck is everyone using RSS feed for if thats the case??? The RSS feed allows you to pull the data to your website. Confused...
Computer Specs
Member with 787 posts.

28-Jul-2012, 08:46 PM #4
Rss is for viewers... Not for others to rip it off... You asked I answered
Member with 32 posts.

28-Jul-2012, 10:20 PM #5
So RSS is not for us to subscribe and pull data?
Computer Specs
Member with 787 posts.

28-Jul-2012, 11:07 PM #6
It could be if and only you have permission to re distribute the content... Think of it this way by Microsoft putting windows on a cd does mean you can burn copies and sell them to your friends? No. That's illegal distribution, it's the same online content... You may be able to copy it... But that doesn't mean you are allowed... ASKING PERMISSION IS THE BEST WAY TO AVOID INFRINGEMENT, AND KEEP PROOF IF THEY SAY YES.
Member with 32 posts.

28-Jul-2012, 11:19 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukevyner View Post
It could be if and only you have permission to re distribute the content... Think of it this way by Microsoft putting windows on a cd does mean you can burn copies and sell them to your friends? No. That's illegal distribution, it's the same online content... You may be able to copy it... But that doesn't mean you are allowed... ASKING PERMISSION IS THE BEST WAY TO AVOID INFRINGEMENT, AND KEEP PROOF IF THEY SAY YES.
SO let me get this straight. All these social websites and news sites have RSS FEEDS readily available but everyone has to ask permission to use it? You realize what an RSS feed is?
Computer Specs
Member with 787 posts.

29-Jul-2012, 12:02 AM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by steadysystems View Post
SO let me get this straight. All these social websites and news sites have RSS FEEDS readily available but everyone has to ask permission to use it? You realize what an RSS feed is?
Let get me get this straight... You ask a question and then bash anyone who doesn't tell you what you want to hear?
I will no longer be responding to your threads have a nice day:-D
Member with 32 posts.

29-Jul-2012, 12:42 AM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukevyner View Post
Let get me get this straight... You ask a question and then bash anyone who doesn't tell you what you want to hear?
I will no longer be responding to your threads have a nice day:-D
If this is your idea of bashing you are walking on some flower pedals my friend. You said RSS FEEDS require permission to use and put on a website. This seems incorrect to me.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,666 posts.

29-Jul-2012, 01:26 AM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by steadysystems View Post
If this is your idea of bashing you are walking on some flower pedals my friend. You said RSS FEEDS require permission to use and put on a website. This seems incorrect to me.
No as stated you are incorrect, feeds are for individuals to keep up to date with that websites content. The content is the copyright of the website that created it.

So now you have 2 people saying the same thing maybe you will believe it, if not go and see a copyright lawyer.
Member with 32 posts.

29-Jul-2012, 10:10 AM #11
RSS feeds are displayed on third party websites all over the world (i.e. Yahoo news) for syndication and publication. I doubt they all are infringing.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
rss feeds

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!