Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Setting Up File Upload Home Server

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 141 posts.

Experience: Advanced
09-Aug-2012, 08:33 AM #1
Solved: Setting Up File Upload Home Server
I would like to set up an old computer in my house with an Ubuntu LAMP install to allow me to upload and download files from anywhere. It would be useful for transferring things like documents, pictures, and java code from my home to school. How exactly would I do this? I need it to be somewhat secure, to prevent people from downloading or upload files to my server as best as possible. I was thinking a PHP login website which would use sessions and list some directories on my server whenever I logged in. Then I would just logout when I'm done. Is this the best way to do it?

The goal here is to learn about servers/scripting/security, not necessarily the most convenient solution.

Thanks

Last edited by janikPilot; 09-Aug-2012 at 09:53 AM..
Computer Specs
Member with 141 posts.

Experience: Advanced
10-Aug-2012, 10:57 AM #2
Basically I created an Apache2 .htaccess and .htpasswd file to protect my server. I then created a simple file upload index.php file which is the start page of my server. Then I just have links to browse the files. I'll now close the thread.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
file upload, login, php, server, ubuntu

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!