Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

FP Newbie has publishing problem - HELP!!

(!)

Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: FrontPage newbie
13-Mar-2005, 10:09 PM #1
Question FP Newbie has publishing problem - HELP!!

I am getting an error of

Could not find a web server at 'URL' on port 80. Please check to make sure that the Web server name is valid and your proxy settings are set correctly. If you are sure everything is correct, the Web server may be temporarily out of service.

I have an account at Geocities and that's where i'm publishing my site. I have had a couple of successful tries at publishing, but most always i get the above error. I'm quite frustrated and don't know what to do. I've contacted both GeoCities and Microsoft -- both point the finger at the other.

Can anyone help me?!?
Junior Member with 8 posts.

16-Mar-2005, 11:36 PM #2
Ok first off, you are trying to publish with FP or are you just trying to connect to your site?

If Geocities has an online web editor, have you tired logging into that to make sure you can access your account?

And when you contacted geocities, did they give you what they believe is the correct information for you connect? If you try the information that they give you, and your still not connecting, it may be an error on their part. I would say try setting up another server with them, and see if you can connect to that. If not, you can then start looking at your computer to see if its a software problem.
Check your firewall and make sure your settings are not set to high. Even though port 80 is usually open, be on the safe side. I havent use geocities in a really long time, but do they offer ftp? If they do, try using another ftp program to log in. I'm not to sure on your condition whether your trying to publish your documents through their online web filing system, or if you are using ftp. Please specify.
-Structural
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!