Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web Design & Development Web Design & Development
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Do Firefox and the Mozilla browser interpret HTML identically?

(!)

Member with 177 posts.

01-Aug-2005, 05:11 PM #1
Do Firefox and the Mozilla browser interpret HTML identically?
I was going to put this in the internet forum, but I think it's more pertinent to web development.

As far as I know, Firefox is basically an awsomer version of the Mozilla browser that doesn't come with any extra utilities or apps. But do they interpret HTML (or CSS, etc.) any differently from eachother?

I currently test my pages in the latest versions of IE, Firefox, Mozilla, Netscape, and Opera. Any others you can suggest?
Member with 14,681 posts.

Experience: Advanced
01-Aug-2005, 05:25 PM #2
They both use the Gecko rendering engine, but there are still version differences that can cause pages to render differently between the two browsers. Netscape 7 also uses a version of Gecko.
Senior Member with 2,636 posts.

02-Aug-2005, 10:55 AM #3
Basically you should focus on the different rendering engines.

Presto - Opera
Gecko - Mozilla, Firefox, Epiphany, Camino, K-Meleon, Netscape
ICab - ICab
Webcore - Safari, Omniweb
Trident - IE
KHTML - Konqueror, Safari

Of course if you just have Windows, IE, Firefox, Netscape, K-Meleon, Opera and Mozilla will do; meaning you test in a Trident, Presto and Gecko browser.

For gecko browsers, you could just test with the latest version of Firefox and you'll find that most of the time, all the other gecko browsers will render the same or close to it.

For Opera, just test with the latest version. Some like to user older versions of Opera, but I wouldn't worry about anything before Opera 7.54u2.

Opera and Firefox don't already do everything excactly the same across platforms, so if you can test on other platforms you should.

For IE, do whatever you want.

Don't forget about text-based browsers like lynx and don't forget about cell-phones etc. (Opera has a scr mode. shift+f11)

If you are using XHTML served as application/xhtml+xml, you automatically throw out lynx and IE. (unless you sniff and server them text/html versions.)

If you want a bigger list, goto http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_layout_engines

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...based_browsers

But as B said, different versions can render differently.
Member with 14,681 posts.

Experience: Advanced
02-Aug-2005, 12:39 PM #4
Or just sign up for http://browsercam.com
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!