Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web Design & Development Web Design & Development
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Page validation problem --"No Referer header found!"

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 37 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
04-May-2007, 08:26 PM #1
Page validation problem --"No Referer header found!"
Hi folks, again,

Just a slight hiccup you may help with.

I have my site up and running now, and have validated all my pages through w3c (except the forms ones) - I placed the 'code' at the bottom of the page to show it was 'validated' but when I 'click' on the link to show validation this message comes back: "No Referer header found!" -"You have requested we check the referring page, but your browser did not send the HTTP "Referer" header field."

I then did a 'Google' search for the header field etc. I added this to the <head> section:
"<meta name="referer" content="Referer: http://www.w3.org/hypertext/DataSources/Overview.html"/>" - passed 'validation' again. Went back to page, hit the link and it still came back with the: "No Referer header found!"

Please what am I missing. At the moment I am just displaying that it is "valid xhtml" with the 'image' only with no link behind it!!!

Again your excellent help is again requested.
Member with 3,012 posts.

04-May-2007, 08:32 PM #2
That has NOTHING to do with the code on your website.

That means that YOUR browser isn't sending a header referral to the validator. Allow referrals in your browser and it will work.

Again, there is NO problem with your site.
Computer Specs
Member with 37 posts.

04-May-2007, 08:52 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by namenotfound
That has NOTHING to do with the code on your website.

That means that YOUR browser isn't sending a header referral to the validator. Allow referrals in your browser and it will work.

Again, there is NO problem with your site.
Thanks,
I am using Firefox 2.0.0.3 - Where do I find it please? It also says the same thing in IE?
Senior Member with 3,625 posts.

04-May-2007, 11:03 PM #4
Got a link?

This usually happens when you try to open the validation in a new window or tab.
Member with 3,012 posts.

05-May-2007, 10:11 AM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Me They said!
Thanks,
I am using Firefox 2.0.0.3 - Where do I find it please? It also says the same thing in IE?
If you installed the "web developer" toolbar extension for Firefox, by default on the Windows version the header referrals are disabled.

Take a look at the screen shot attached, uncheck the referral to enable it again.

I'm not sure about how to enable it in IE, I never use IE except for testing my sites in it.
Attached Thumbnails
Page validation problem --"No Referer header found!"-untitled.png  
Computer Specs
Member with 37 posts.

09-May-2007, 08:44 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by namenotfound
If you installed the "web developer" toolbar extension for Firefox, by default on the Windows version the header referrals are disabled.

Take a look at the screen shot attached, uncheck the referral to enable it again.

I'm not sure about how to enable it in IE, I never use IE except for testing my sites in it.
Thanks for that, sorry about delay. Yes I do have "web developer" and the only link in mine is 'Disable minimum font size" and I only use IE when I am made to or like you to check out my site.

Again thanks all.
Senior Member with 3,625 posts.

10-May-2007, 11:20 AM #7
Do you have a link to the site?
Computer Specs
Member with 2,183 posts.

Experience: Advanced
11-May-2007, 10:13 PM #8
Often the referrer headers are stripped out by firewalls - as in the case with mine. Just disable the firewall for a sec or look in the settings for it and see if you can get it to work.

Otherwise you can just change the link like this:

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...rikswan.net%2F

That's what my link is - Just replace the URL with the URL for your site.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!