Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web Design & Development Web Design & Development
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

contact form multiple double pulldowns

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
02-Oct-2007, 11:54 AM #1
contact form multiple double pulldowns
Hi there.
I have a contact form that writes information to a text database file (rather than emailing the results to a recipient). I have used a cgi script, but it's writing to a text file on a windows server. It's called CSVwrite from EZscripting.com (the free version). I have used dreamweaver to create the form.

Here's my problem... and I can only find "double drop down" info on navigation drop downs, not contact form pulldowns like I have.

I would like to have a couple of different instances where there are double pull-downs.
Ie. If they choose, say "colour" from the first menu, then they get "red, brown, etc" as choices in the second menu.
Then, In another "question", they can choose "colour" and get "pale, vibrant, etc" as choices in the second menu.

As well, in another "question", if they choose "other" from the bottom of yet a different pulldown, they get a text entry field to fill in. I know I can just add the text field and put "if other", but is it possible to grey it out unless they choose "other"?

When they hit send, they go back to the same page, rather than to a thank you page.

So here's another question - can I keep the data that was entered the first time when they go back to the page (rather than clearing the form automatically), so that if they want to send almost all the same info, but just change a couple of things, they can?
Ie. "submit and reload"?

Thanks
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 7,141 posts.

04-Oct-2007, 06:59 PM #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojo
Here's my problem... and I can only find "double drop down" info on navigation drop downs, not contact form pulldowns like I have.

I would like to have a couple of different instances where there are double pull-downs.
Ie. If they choose, say "colour" from the first menu, then they get "red, brown, etc" as choices in the second menu.
Then, In another "question", they can choose "colour" and get "pale, vibrant, etc" as choices in the second menu.
Ok, I'm not really tracking with you here. Can you post a link to an example?

Quote:
As well, in another "question", if they choose "other" from the bottom of yet a different pulldown, they get a text entry field to fill in. I know I can just add the text field and put "if other", but is it possible to grey it out unless they choose "other"?
Yep, using JavaScript.

Quote:
When they hit send, they go back to the same page, rather than to a thank you page.
I recently did that on a form I created.

Quote:
So here's another question - can I keep the data that was entered the first time when they go back to the page (rather than clearing the form automatically), so that if they want to send almost all the same info, but just change a couple of things, they can?
Ie. "submit and reload"?
Yep, when the form is submitted, you can have the data the user entered passed to the page that gets loaded after the form data is sent. Then, that page can get the data entered on the form and do something with it.

Peace...
Junior Member with 2 posts.

11-Oct-2007, 02:59 PM #3
What Javascript would that be???
Hi Tomdkat, thanks for replying.
Do you have an example of how to do that? How do I pass the data to that page, as well as passing that data along to the db, which is where it needs to go?

THX

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdkat
Ok, I'm not really tracking with you here. Can you post a link to an example?

Yep, using JavaScript.

I recently did that on a form I created.

Yep, when the form is submitted, you can have the data the user entered passed to the page that gets loaded after the form data is sent. Then, that page can get the data entered on the form and do something with it.

Peace...
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 7,141 posts.

11-Oct-2007, 03:28 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojo
Do you have an example of how to do that? How do I pass the data to that page
I don't have an example using the particular script you're using but I can send you a link to the form I created which does what you're looking for, but using another script.

I would post this question on the CSVwrite help forum:

Can CSVwrite pass form data to a "thank you" page via parameters, like this:

http://www.mysite.com/thankyou.html?name=[name]&email=[email]&field=[value]

If CSVwrite can do that, you're set. You can process those values using JavaScript. If not., you can experiment with having CSVwrite fill-out the "thank you" page such that form fields are pre-filled in.

Peace...
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!