Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web Design & Development Web Design & Development
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

locked out of xampp and MySQL

(!)

Member with 36 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
11-Feb-2008, 09:44 PM #1
locked out of xampp and MySQL
Hi everyone. I just created a database and tables in MySQL so I can collect the data from an online survey I'm creating. I was in xampp and clicked on Security. It listed several things that weren't secure. I don't remember if the link was in xampp or what, but I followed some directions and set the passwords recommended, for both myself as a user, as well as root. Now when I try to log back in to localhost (xammpp or security or anything) I get this error with or without a password:

The server localhost at xampp user requires a username and password.
Warning: This server is requesting that your username and password be sent in an insecure manner (basic authentication without a secure connection).

How can I reset the passwords? I don't want to have to uninstall and reinstall because I'll lose my database. I've searched the forums and tried a few different things, but I'm either doing them wrong or they just don't work. I'm running Windows Vista (which can be frustrating enough by itself) if that makes a difference.

If anyone can help me, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks! MJ
Member with 36 posts.

13-Feb-2008, 09:46 AM #2
I'm still hoping someone can help me. I've researched on this site, on Apache's site and everywhere else, and I've tried many suggestions, but nothing works. When I go to http://localhost/xampp/ and click on phpMyAdmin, I get a login screen. Since I had changed the passwords as suggested in the Security site, I tried with the passwords and without, for both root and my own user name. I still get this error:

Error #1045 - Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO) (or YES if I use a password).

The only way I know to access MySQL is thru phyMyAdmin. Is my only alternative to uninstall and reinstall? I could really use some advice! Thanks!
Member with 36 posts.

13-Feb-2008, 05:15 PM #3
Solved!
I was finally able to get this fixed. I went to http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/...rmissions.html (for Windows). I had tried this same thing several times, but it never worked. If anyone else has this problem, this is how I made it work:

For step 3, I had been trying to save the file in C:\mysql, and calling it init.txt. I finally just called the txt file mysql-init.txt, and saved it directly in the C: directory. Then for step 5, when I ran this command, C:\> C:\mysql\bin\mysqld-nt --init-file=C:\mysql-init.txt, at the DOS prompt, it never came back with a response. It seemed like it was just looping or something. This is why I thought it never worked. The last time I tried it, I got frustrated and just exited the DOS prompt. Then I restarted MySQL and Apache thru the Xampp control panel, went to http://localhost/xampp/ and was able to log into root with the password I had reset. I just hope it lets me in next time - I'm afraid to log out now!
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 2,382 posts.

Experience: Including today?
13-Feb-2008, 06:24 PM #4
You can reset the MySQL password easily;
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/...ssions-windows

You can delete the security for xampp by deleting the xampp.users and .htaccess files that were created;
(C:\xampp\security\xampp.users C:\xampp\htdocs\xampp\.htaccess)
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!