Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web Design & Development Web Design & Development
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Font size different in IE & Firefox

(!)

Member with 71 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
05-Mar-2008, 05:14 PM #1
Font size different in IE & Firefox
I'm having a problem with small fonts that view differently in IE and Firefox. I have tried to use 9px font size for a button and for a copyright and they appear to be different sizes in IE and Firefox. It seems that the size is much smaller in Firefox that IE. It doesn't seem to matter which font I use, I get the same problem.

Has anyone experienced this? Have you found a solution?

Thanks.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 7,141 posts.

05-Mar-2008, 05:18 PM #2
I've hit this problem as well. I think using "em" as the font metric might provide more consistent results but I'm not 100% sure.

Peace...
Member with 71 posts.

05-Mar-2008, 06:30 PM #3
Thanks for the response. I tried to use both em an px sizes but that didn't make a difference. I try to stay away from using pt.

I am trying to avoid using different css for IE and Firefox(Mozilla). I have seen that other sites do this.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 7,141 posts.

06-Mar-2008, 01:36 PM #4
Which specific font are you using? Are you noticing font size differences on the same computer but in different browsers?

EDIT: Attached are screenshots of some text in IE 6 (Maxthon 2.0.8), Firefox 3b3, and Opera 9.5b3 on Windows XP.

Peace...
Attached Thumbnails
Font size different in IE & Firefox-firefox-3b3.jpg   Font size different in IE & Firefox-opera-950b3.jpg   Font size different in IE & Firefox-maxthon208-ie6.jpg  

Last edited by tomdkat; 06-Mar-2008 at 02:21 PM..
Senior Member with 690 posts.

Experience: Advanced Web Developer
08-Mar-2008, 11:25 PM #5
Some browsers will render fonts different - safari and IE7 for example have really now anti-aliasing (spelling??) which smooths edges etc and can make sizes look different...

Also, could it be something as simple as the default text-size/screen zoom in your browser is set to other than normal? in Firefox for example you can change text size thru View/Text Size - if you have this in FF as smaller than "normal" then 9px will display as slightly smaller...

amx
Member with 71 posts.

09-Mar-2008, 09:28 AM #6
tomdkat - I try to stick with the basic fonts for my text (arial, helvetica, times new roman, verdana). I don't think it is computer specific because I see this difference on three different computers.

amanxman - I have the font view size to be medium on IE and normal on FireFox. You are probably right about the difference in rendering in each browser.

Unfortunately, I think I may have to use different css for each browser or create images for the stuff that will be static.

Thanks.
Senior Member with 690 posts.

Experience: Advanced Web Developer
09-Mar-2008, 02:34 PM #7
there's nothing wrong with using different css calls for IE browsers - for a fully accessible website you often need to use ie6 and ie7 specific style sheet amends in addition to main anyway.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!