Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: MSN Narrowband Unlimited Access

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Beginner
08-Jul-2011, 12:24 PM #1
Solved: MSN Narrowband Unlimited Access
I was so glad, when I found this website, to see the quote at the top about no stupid questions, just easier to answer. I think this is one of those. In 1998 I signed up for msn email and used the "butterfly" to check mail and surf the net. I have been paying microsoft $19.95 per month ever since! Infinite loops in their 800 support number do not get me to anyone who can speak live. My question is, what am I paying for?! Isn't all email free these days? The butterfly software is long gone from any computers I use. I use chrome or IE as my browser on whatever computer I happen to be using - laptop, office, library, hotel bsns center, whatever. My billing account says my service is "MSN Narrowband Unlimited Access". The service description says "$19.95 per month. Additional telephone and/or long distance toll charges may apply." Is this dial up? Why the heck am I paying for dial up in this day and age?! If I simply go online and cancel, will I still be able to use my msn email addresses? I can't afford for those to go inactive. Thanks in advance for your advice.
Member with 5,654 posts.

08-Jul-2011, 03:40 PM #2
Have a look at this TSG thread from 2006; http://forums.techguy.org/web-email/...arrowband.html (particularly #7) and this from the grandly named 'Windows Live Solution Center';http://windowslivehelp.com/thread.as...6-c0ad2d8ecf9c

As the 800 number isn't working for you, you could try the URL quoted by the Solution Center http://support.msn.com

11-Jul-2011, 04:24 PM #3
Thanks, TOGG. I had seen the TSG thread from 2006 but thought maybe it was too old to be relevant, plus didn't really understand what s/he wanted to get out of her/his annual $20 that s/he settled on.
I had not found the windowslivehelp thread, and they gave a very clear answer, "Nope."(!) Went through the url but got lost.
So I then spent 15 minutes getting through to someone at the 800 number to cancel. The account person told me yes, I would still have access to my msn mail, just not through their browser ("butterfly", they actually said) and that my storage capacity would be reduced in half. Yikes! I thought, losing half my capacity, will I survive? Well, it will go down from 10GB to 5GB and I will lose all my favorites. Hmmm. Can't imagine I use even 1GB but can you tell me? No, I have to talk to tech support, get transferred, then disconnected after 5 minutes. Call back the 800 number again, 5 minutes later Tech Support Martin was GREAT. Explained the whole thing to me, agreed I don't need to be paying for dial up, looked up my usage - about 60MB. Yes, MB. Guess I'm safe cancelling...
So I called the 800 number again and now am free of me $20/month burden.
That's my story. Thanks for your help.
Member with 5,654 posts.

11-Jul-2011, 04:39 PM #4
Glad to have been of slight help. Odd that the Solution Center thing didn't come up in your searches because it seemed to be only a few entries down the page when I looked?

Whatever, it must give you a really good feeling to know that, over the years, your dollars have been boosting Bill's fortune and, by association, his charitable efforts!!

11-Jul-2011, 04:42 PM #5
My thoughts exactly! Also, I was taking the tax deduction as a home office business expense so that reduces the sting a bit, as well.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!