Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Firefox 3.6.19: How do you enable Java?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 205 posts.

Experience: Advanced
19-Jul-2011, 10:01 AM #1
Question Solved: Firefox 3.6.19: How do you enable Java?
Hello everyone!

I have installed the latest Java JDK, version 6 update 26. Name of the installer was "jdk-6u26-windows-x64.exe". The JDK package of course includes the Java JRE so one does not have to download these separately.

I am using Firefox 3.6.19 and whenever I visit a website that requires Java, I cannot load the applet. Firefox reports that a required plugin is missing. But I recently installed Internet Explorer 9 from Windows Update, and if I run IE 9 there is no problem with Java in the browser.

1. Could this have to do with 32-bit vs. 64-bit compatibility, i.e. Java is 64-bit while Firefox is 32-bit?
2. How do I check that the Java plugin is installed?

Thanks!
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,433 posts.

19-Jul-2011, 10:16 AM #2
Go into the Control Panel, then click the Java applet so its window can load.

Once it does, click the "Advanced" tab.

Click the + in "Default Java for browsers".

Make sure that both boxes have a checkmark.

Click the + in "Java Plug-in".

Make sure there's a checkmark in the box.

Click Apply - OK.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Is there a reason why you haven't upgraded to Mozilla Firefox 5.0.1 ?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs
Member with 205 posts.

19-Jul-2011, 11:03 AM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavallee View Post
Go into the Control Panel, then click the Java applet so its window can load.

Once it does, click the "Advanced" tab.

Click the + in "Default Java for browsers".

Make sure that both boxes have a checkmark.

Click the + in "Java Plug-in".

Make sure there's a checkmark in the box.

Click Apply - OK.

Under 'Default Java for browsers' there is a checkmark right next to 'Microsoft Internet Explorer'. This option is greyed out so the checkmark cannot be removed even if I wanted to. But next to the 'Mozilla-series' option there is no checkmark. But if I check it, the cahnges cannot be applied. When I check it, click Apply and then OK and reopen Java control panel, it is still unchecked! So it seems as changes cannot be saved.

I tried this actually before. It is described in a Java help article.

Java help article on enabling Java for browsers: How do I enable Java through the Control Panel

Last edited by Fractalogic; 19-Jul-2011 at 11:33 AM..
Computer Specs
Member with 4,038 posts.

19-Jul-2011, 11:20 AM #4
Quote:

That version was taken down due to bugs. Even I don't have that version. Have a look in here

http://forums.techguy.org/site-comme...ed-layout.html
Computer Specs
Member with 205 posts.

19-Jul-2011, 11:21 AM #5
Under 'Default Java for browsers' there is a checkmark right next to 'Microsoft Internet Explorer'. This option is greyed out so the checkmark cannot be removed even if I wanted to. But next to the 'Mozilla-series' option there is no checkmark. But if I check it, the cahnges cannot be applied. When I check it, click Apply and then OK and reopen Java control panel, it is still unchecked! So it seems as changes cannot be saved.

I tried this actually before. It is described in a Java help article.

Java help article on enabling Java for browsers: http://www.java.com/en/download/help/enable_panel.xml

Under the Java Plug-in it says "Enable the next-generation Java Plug-in (requires browser restart)". It is already checked and greyed out, so I cannot remove this checkmark.

I have tested Firefox 4.0 RC when it was released. I installed it in conjunction with Firefox 3.6.18, but in separate installation folders, which still caused some conflicts between the two. For instance, clicking the Firefox icon on the Start menu would once start Firefox 3.6.18 and once Firefox 4.0 RC. And both of them were experiencing things like situations where it would just stop responding for about 10 seconds every now and then, while surfing the web. But it would come back to life after about 10 seconds.

But like I said this had to do with a conflict between the two. However, I experienced Firefox 4.0 as very slow. It seems to be graphically more heavier than its predecessors thanks to the many new features it introduced. I did not get that same speed and responsiveness as with FX 1.x, 2.x and 3.x. I feel like they have changed the focus completely now, it's as if they are copying Opera and IE now. As if they have left their roots of being the most speedy, responsive, and lightweight browser, which is what I liked most with Firefox.

I have been using Google Chrome for some while, and right now I think it's the fastest and most responsive browser out there. I think it could replace Firefox on my computer. The new IE 9 by the way is also very fast, for being IE that is.

I did not test the new 5.x version of Firefox. What's up with these new version number schemes anyway? Evolutionary this new version should not be too much different from 4.x. Why don't they drop the bomb and call it Firefox 9? To make it more close to IE, Opera, etc. you know?!...

When can we expect a 64-bit version of Firefox anyway?
Computer Specs
Member with 205 posts.

19-Jul-2011, 11:29 AM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sepala View Post
That version was taken down due to bugs. Even I don't have that version. Have a look in here

http://forums.techguy.org/site-comme...ed-layout.html
Wow! Thanks for sharing! See this is why I don't like jumping on the train whenever a new version of some software leaves the station. If it's not broken, don't fix it. Thanks!

Firefox version 5.0.1 is what I am seeing as well, on the Mozilla Firefox download page. I will probably wait till that number reaches 5.4.9 before I decide to test it.
Computer Specs
Member with 4,038 posts.

19-Jul-2011, 11:35 AM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fractalogic View Post
Wow! Thanks for sharing! See this is why I don't like jumping on the train whenever a new version of some software leaves the station. If it's not broken, don't fix it. Thanks!

Firefox version 5.0.1 is what I am seeing as well, on the Mozilla Firefox download page. I will probably wait till that number reaches 5.4.9 before I decide to test it.
You are welcome
Computer Specs
Member with 205 posts.

19-Jul-2011, 11:35 AM #8
I would like to try the old type of Java Plug-in. But it doesn't seem to be possible, since this option is grayed out too.

Java help article on next-generation Java Plug-in: What is next-generation Java Plug-in and how can I switch between the old Java plug-in and new Java plug-in
Computer Specs
Member with 4,038 posts.

19-Jul-2011, 11:41 AM #9
Sorry for the interruption, if you are curious about the updates, have a look in mozilla developer note

https://developer.mozilla.org/devnews/
Computer Specs
Member with 205 posts.

19-Jul-2011, 11:43 AM #10
1. What if I installed Java JDK 32-bit (jdk-6u26-windows-i586.exe)? Could it cause a conflict between the two (64-bit vs. 32-bit Java)? Java 64-bit FTW!

2. Is there any official 64-bit version of Firefox available for Windows yet? Will the new Firefox 5 be 64-bit?
Computer Specs
Member with 205 posts.

19-Jul-2011, 11:55 AM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sepala View Post
Sorry for the interruption, if you are curious about the updates, have a look in mozilla developer note

https://developer.mozilla.org/devnews/
Mozilla developer center still in Beta?... oh boy.

I do check it from time to time. They don't update it as often as I would like to. But I just checked the release notes for 5.0.1. It looks like Mac people had some issues of their own. It seems similar to the issue I am having on Windows right now.

• Worked around an issue caused by Apple's "Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 5" where the Java plugin would not be loaded
Link: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox.../releasenotes/

Although, I am using a completely different version of Firefox. I am on 3.6.19. But it seems as if an upgrade to Firefox 5.x would not solve this issue. In fact, Firefox 5.0 users are having the same problem, as long as they are on Mac and have not updated to 5.0.1 yet. But you never know for sure... it might hit Windows users as well. I need to solve this problem, not add to it.
Computer Specs
Member with 205 posts.

19-Jul-2011, 12:33 PM #12
1. Does anyone know if 1.6 u26 is the latest Java JRE available? That's what Firefox is suggesting I should install.

2. What if I install the Java JDK instead - this time the 32-bit edition of it (jdk-6u26-windows-i586.exe)? Would it mess up my 64-bit install too much?

Does anyone know how the heck do you download ONLY the 64-bit edition of ONLY the JRE? There is this help article on the Java website, explaining what edition to get for what type of system and so on.

Link: http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/java_win64bit.xml

Quote:
Java for 64-bit browsers

Users should download 64-bit Java software, if they are running 64-bit browsers. For downloading 64-bit Java click 64-bit manual download

Follow these instructions for installing 64-bit Java on your system.

1. Choose the 64-bit Windows offline download. The File Download dialog box appears.
2. Choose the folder location. (Save the file to a known location on your computer, for example, to your desktop) and Click Save.
3. Close all applications including the browser.
4. Double-click on the saved file icon to start the installation process
The link is pointing to this address: http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

But when you click the link it only opens the web page for the regular 32-bit edition of Java where you can download it for either Windows, Solaris or Linux.

It seems to me that the only way to specifically download the 64-bit edition of JRE is to go get the 64-bit JDK. Because with the JDK comes also a JRE. It's been like that for as long as I can remember, even under the SUN reign, before the acquisition by Oracle. Maybe there simply is no 64-bit edition of JRE? I don't know, but it seems very strange that you would have a developer kit for 64-bit applications and applets but no appropriate runtime environment for the same.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,433 posts.

19-Jul-2011, 12:40 PM #13
I'm using Mozilla Firefox 5.0.1 in conjunction with Oracle Java Runtime Environment 1.6.0.26, and it works fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: Firefox 3.6.19: How do you enable Java?-7-19-2011-12-36   Solved: Firefox 3.6.19: How do you enable Java?-7-19-2011-12-38  
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

19-Jul-2011, 12:57 PM #14
This isn't an issue with Firefox or Java. You simply downloaded the wrong thing.

If you're using Firefox 3.6.19 which is a 32-bit application, then you need to install a 32-bit Java Runtime. Then everything should work just fine.
Computer Specs
Member with 205 posts.

19-Jul-2011, 01:14 PM #15
Well finally, now it works. I just had to install Java from an installer called "jxpiinstall.exe". I simply visited Java website (http://www.java.com/) and clicked "Free Java Download" button.

It's in fact the same installer that the Firefox automatic Plugin Finder Service found. And yes, I just checked under Add-ons, Plugins in Firefox, it is indeed JRE 1.6.0.26.

The installer file for Internet Explorer is "jre-6u26-windows-i586-iftw.exe" since IE and Firefox don't use the same plugin format.

Note that this is referred to "installing Java" but this is merely just installing the right plugin for the web browser.

However, I am still unable to check the "Mozilla family" (or "series") option in Java control panel and make it stay that way. I can click it and the checkmark is applied, but the setting just won't stay that way. So I cannot switch Java plugin on and off for Firefox from that end. I need to do it from within Firefox. I don't know if this has to do with the fact that I have installed JDK 6 update 26 instead of the regular JRE only. Go figure. I'm just glad it works now.

There is a lot of confusion associated with Java out there. Like for instance, why not just put out a simple installer for JRE 64-bit or 32-bit, which ever you need. And simply download and install it. The plugins can be made available separately. Now this is something that Mozilla for example could put up on their Add-ons download pages. Why would you need to get the JDK just to install the 64-bit JRE? That's confusing enough, IMHO.

I just wanna say thanks to you all for your input.

Last edited by Fractalogic; 19-Jul-2011 at 01:51 PM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
firefox 3.6.19, java, jdk, jdk-6u26-windows-x64.exe, jre

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!