Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Why won't my computer let me install other web browsers?


(!)

C3Yaoihunter's Avatar
C3Yaoihunter C3Yaoihunter is offline
Computer Specs
Member with 22 posts.
THREAD STARTER
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Spring Valley NY (sadly)
Experience: Beginner
04-Aug-2011, 11:30 AM #1
Why won't my computer let me install other web browsers?
I get so fed up with using internet explorer sometimes, that I decided to try and install other web browsers such as google chrome, firefox, and even opera. The problem is that when each of these browsers were finished downloading, none of them were able to launch because according to my computer: “Your computer has insufficient resources available or because some files are locked by other applications”. In the case of google chrome it said: “An operating system error occurred during installation. Please download Google Chrome again.” However, I checked the list of programs that were on my computer and Google Chrome was one of them, but I couldn’t remove it because it said: “You do not have sufficient access to uninstall Google Chrome.” And as for Mozilla Firefox, I uninstalled it since it never worked to begin with. When it was on my desktop, I double-clicked to launch but nothing would happen. I use an HP Pavilion Entertainment PC that operates on Windows 7 and my current web browser is internet explorer, so if that info helps, I’d like to know what’s preventing me from installing new web browsers on my computer and what I can do to fix it.
Firebreather's Avatar
Computer Specs
Member with 5,068 posts.
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Experience: Still Learning....
04-Aug-2011, 02:36 PM #2
Do you have sufficient space in your C: drive (or whichever drive you are trying to install the browsers in)?
Ent's Avatar
Ent   (Josiah) Ent is offline Ent is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,291 posts.
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Experience: Intermediate
04-Aug-2011, 02:38 PM #3
Also, are you giving the system the required permissions to install?

Make sure that you right click the installer and Choose Run as Administrator, don't simply double click.
Koot's Avatar
Computer Specs
Member with 1,419 posts.
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Plano, TX
Experience: Intermediate
04-Aug-2011, 02:42 PM #4
You said that when you attempted to install Google Chrome it said; “You do not have sufficient access to uninstall Google Chrome.” This makes me wonder if you have Administrator permission to install (or uninstall) it.
C3Yaoihunter's Avatar
C3Yaoihunter C3Yaoihunter is offline
Computer Specs
Member with 22 posts.
THREAD STARTER
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Spring Valley NY (sadly)
Experience: Beginner
06-Aug-2011, 10:07 AM #5
I have 175GB of free space left in my C-drive. I didn't realize that browsers had to be installed to certain drives. How would I go about installing a new browser in my C-drive?
C3Yaoihunter's Avatar
C3Yaoihunter C3Yaoihunter is offline
Computer Specs
Member with 22 posts.
THREAD STARTER
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Spring Valley NY (sadly)
Experience: Beginner
06-Aug-2011, 10:12 AM #6
How do I get the right permission to give to my system? And which installer do I click to "Run as Administrator"?
C3Yaoihunter's Avatar
C3Yaoihunter C3Yaoihunter is offline
Computer Specs
Member with 22 posts.
THREAD STARTER
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Spring Valley NY (sadly)
Experience: Beginner
06-Aug-2011, 10:24 AM #7
Someone said that I need to run the installers as an administrator: "save the installer package and don't just run it from the IE dialog box, then once it's downloaded, right click on the downloaded installer package and click "run as administrator"." Anyone know how I would go about doing this? Where would I need to begin?
tomdkat's Avatar
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 7,141 posts.
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: S.F. Bay Area, CA
Experience: Intermediate
06-Aug-2011, 10:25 AM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koot View Post
You said that when you attempted to install Google Chrome it said; “You do not have sufficient access to uninstall Google Chrome.” This makes me wonder if you have Administrator permission to install (or uninstall) it.
That's a good observation but he would have been prompted for the Admin account info when he tried to install any of the browsers. What caught my eye were the messages about "insufficient resources" and about files being locked by another application. That makes me suspect an infection of some kind.

C3Yaoihunter, what anti-virus and anti-spyware/anti-malware software do you use and when is the last time you updated it and scanned your system? I'm thinking you have an infection of some kind interfering with the installation of the other browsers.

Peace...
Koot's Avatar
Computer Specs
Member with 1,419 posts.
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Plano, TX
Experience: Intermediate
06-Aug-2011, 10:38 AM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by C3Yaoihunter View Post
I have 175GB of free space left in my C-drive. I didn't realize that browsers had to be installed to certain drives. How would I go about installing a new browser in my C-drive?
I believe Google Chrome will only download and install to your C drive - you don't have a choice...without going through some effort to install it on another drive. Nevertheless, Google Chrome should be installed on your C drive. It's probably only 150MB in size anyway after you fully set it up to your liking.

Have you tried downloading Chrome from the Google Chrome website, instead of downloading it from one of the many sites that offer a Google Chrome download?

Last edited by Koot; 06-Aug-2011 at 11:17 AM..
Koot's Avatar
Computer Specs
Member with 1,419 posts.
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Plano, TX
Experience: Intermediate
06-Aug-2011, 10:40 AM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by C3Yaoihunter View Post
How do I get the right permission to give to my system? And which installer do I click to "Run as Administrator"?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308419
Koot's Avatar
Computer Specs
Member with 1,419 posts.
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Plano, TX
Experience: Intermediate
06-Aug-2011, 10:44 AM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by C3Yaoihunter View Post
Someone said that I need to run the installers as an administrator: "save the installer package and don't just run it from the IE dialog box, then once it's downloaded, right click on the downloaded installer package and click "run as administrator"." Anyone know how I would go about doing this? Where would I need to begin?
Once Google Chrome is downloaded to your PC you can then Install it by clicking on the new Chrome icon which should be on your desktop (I believe). If you download Google Chrome and cannot find the installer, just click on Start and Search and type in 'Chrome' or 'Google Chrome' and your PC should find where the installer is located on your PC.

Last edited by Koot; 06-Aug-2011 at 11:19 AM..
Koot's Avatar
Computer Specs
Member with 1,419 posts.
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Plano, TX
Experience: Intermediate
06-Aug-2011, 10:48 AM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdkat View Post
That's a good observation but he would have been prompted for the Admin account info when he tried to install any of the browsers. What caught my eye were the messages about "insufficient resources" and about files being locked by another application. That makes me suspect an infection of some kind.

C3Yaoihunter, what anti-virus and anti-spyware/anti-malware software do you use and when is the last time you updated it and scanned your system? I'm thinking you have an infection of some kind interfering with the installation of the other browsers.

Peace...
You may be right, but I suspect the Chrome installer was downloaded somewhere (some folder/file location) that he can't easily find it. I'm guessing if he searched for it he might find the installer ready to be run. But...
C3Yaoihunter's Avatar
C3Yaoihunter C3Yaoihunter is offline
Computer Specs
Member with 22 posts.
THREAD STARTER
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Spring Valley NY (sadly)
Experience: Beginner
06-Aug-2011, 10:55 AM #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdkat View Post
That's a good observation but he would have been prompted for the Admin account info when he tried to install any of the browsers. What caught my eye were the messages about "insufficient resources" and about files being locked by another application. That makes me suspect an infection of some kind.

C3Yaoihunter, what anti-virus and anti-spyware/anti-malware software do you use and when is the last time you updated it and scanned your system? I'm thinking you have an infection of some kind interfering with the installation of the other browsers.

Peace...
I have AVG Free Anti-Virus protection. It protects against viruses, spyware, malware, trojans, et. It regularly scans my computer for infections (I believe on a daily basis), and lists the amount and type of infections, if any. So far, it indicates that my computer does not contain any infection.
C3Yaoihunter's Avatar
C3Yaoihunter C3Yaoihunter is offline
Computer Specs
Member with 22 posts.
THREAD STARTER
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Spring Valley NY (sadly)
Experience: Beginner
06-Aug-2011, 11:38 AM #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koot View Post
You may be right, but I suspect the Chrome installer was downloaded somewhere (some folder/file location) that he can't easily find it. I'm guessing if he searched for it he might find the installer ready to be run. But...
Well actually I did some exploring on my computer. I went to the computers' "Local Disk"(or C-drive, as it's also known), I opened it and then went to "Program Files (x86)", I clicked the "Google File" and then clicked "Chrome". Then I clicked "Application" and inside that was the file "9.0.597.98". I clicked this file and inside it was the "Installer" file. I double clicked it and then I found "Setup". It was this file that I right clicked and selected "Run as Administrator". Then a gray/blue box appeared asking me if I wanted to continue, which I then selected "continue". After that the box disappeared and nothing seemed to happen. What now?
C3Yaoihunter's Avatar
C3Yaoihunter C3Yaoihunter is offline
Computer Specs
Member with 22 posts.
THREAD STARTER
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Spring Valley NY (sadly)
Experience: Beginner
06-Aug-2011, 11:45 AM #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ent View Post
Also, are you giving the system the required permissions to install?

Make sure that you right click the installer and Choose Run as Administrator, don't simply double click.
I went to my computers' Local Disk (C-drive) and did a lot of exploring through a bunch of files and folders. Eventually I found the "Chrome" file and the "Installer". I double-clicked the "Installer" file since it did not display the "Run as Administator" option. However, the Installer did contain the "Setup" file and it was under this file that I selected the "Run as Administrator" option. After that I clicked "continue" from the box that appeared; it disappeared after I clicked continue and now I'm wondering what to do next.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.


Tags
web browser installation

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools


WELCOME
You Are Using: Server ID
Trusted Website Back to the Top ↑

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2