Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Opening DBX files without Outlook Express

(!)

Member with 22 posts.

Experience: Beginner
01-Sep-2011, 01:56 PM #1
Solved: Opening DBX files without Outlook Express
A few weeks ago, I sensed my hard drive was going to fail, so I copied folders from Outlook Express onto a thumb drive. Then my hard drive failed.

I realize now that I won't be using OE for my mail in the future. I did a google search, and too many of the sites I found had downloads that looked a little fishy. Is there a way for me to read these messages? (An easy way.)

Thanks, Ellen in NYC
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,020 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
01-Sep-2011, 02:31 PM #2
Hi Ellen and welcome to TSG.

If you have the DBX files from the Message Store folder, you can use MailView to open and read them. DOWNLOAD HERE. And it's freeware.
There's no installation involved as it's a standalone program. Just put it in a folder where you know where it is and make a shortcut to it.

It will read them right on the thumb drive.
If you want to be able to open the DBX with just a double click, associate the MailView.exe with DBX files.
Right click a DBX file and click Open With on the menu.
In the Open With dialog, browse to and select the MailView.exe, check the box next to "Always use the selected program to open this file type" and then click OK.

It will also allow you to save selected messages as EML files that can be used by other mail programs.

T.
Member with 22 posts.

Experience: Beginner
02-Sep-2011, 10:09 AM #3
Thank you, throoper.

I appreciate your response (in language I could understand.)

Ellen in NYC
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!