Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Online Video Players Not Working

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-Sep-2011, 08:27 PM #1
Online Video Players Not Working
Recently I restore my Toshiba Satellite to factory settings. I have malwarebytes and AVG running and they find no viruses or malware. Everytime I go to youtube I click on a video and it just sits there waiting. It does not buffer, but if I wait 5 minutes it starts to buffer fast like it normally does. Almost any other video site does the same thing or takes even longer to begin buffering. Video players like Windows Media works fine. This just starting happening within the last week. By the way I am on a university campus, I believe this is a network issue because it happens on my phone also. I am not necessarily looking for a solution to the problem (although that would be nice), but an answer to why this is happening. If my university is intentionally blocking online video streaming isn't that illegal. Please let me know if your answer is just an assumption or definitive because I have been searching for answers on google for days and people have been throwing a lot of random answers out there, plus it has not happened to many other people unless it was a flash issue (which it is not, I've downloaded the most recent version of flash and used browsers from IE to Firefox to Chrome).

-Thanks
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

08-Sep-2011, 10:03 PM #2
It's certainly not illegal for your University to block video streaming. It's their network, and they can do what they want with it. Video streaming consumes a lot of bandwidth, and I doubt many students are writing papers with YouTube videos as cited sources.

If the problem occurs only on the University's network with all your devices, then the issue is definitely with their network, and you should contact the University's IT support team to discuss it.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
network, video, video player, youtube

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!