Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How Do I Hide Recipients' Names in E-Mail?

(!)

Member with 371 posts.

03-Nov-2002, 12:10 AM #1
Question How Do I Hide Recipients' Names in E-Mail?
I want to send an e-mail to a large list of people, and I do not want the recipients to see the list in the "To" box. One way I know is to place the recipients in the blind copy box.

But I received an e-mail recently from someone who sends to lists, and there were no names whatsoever in the "To" box of the e-mail I received as a member of the list. How is that accomplished?
Member with 371 posts.

03-Nov-2002, 12:18 AM #2
Red face Forgot to Add Something
I forgot to say that I am asking about a function in Microsoft Outlook 2000 (SR-1). Sorry I omitted this information.
Computer Specs
Member with 55,535 posts.

03-Nov-2002, 12:21 AM #3
Galleherjazz,

Sent them all BCC:
Member with 371 posts.

03-Nov-2002, 12:45 AM #4
Yes, but what about...
HeWee,

Yes, I understand that sending a list to blind copy will hide all names, but the recipient will see his or her name in the "In" box. There must be a way to hide absolutely all recipients names, including the name of the one receiving the e-mail. I hope I am making myself clear.

That is... I received an e-mail from someone who sends to a big list of people. When I opened it, even MY name was not in the "In" box. How do I send such an e-mail?
Senior Member with 674 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
03-Nov-2002, 01:17 AM #5
I think I know what you are refering to and have also tried to figure this out to. I receive mail from certain people and in the TO: line it says......."undisclosed recipient". I have never been able to find this option in outlook,yahoo mail or hotmail. So I to would like the answer to this.
Computer Specs

03-Nov-2002, 01:34 AM #6
I don't use Outlook but the older netscape it you address the to: to yourself and then BCC: the rest I think it may show up the way you want. But I am not sure so hang on because alot of others here will know.
Member with 371 posts.

03-Nov-2002, 01:56 AM #7
Red face Couldn't Upload the File of the Email
I tried to upload a picture of the e-mail where the "To" line was blank. It appeared to go through, but it didn't post. I see the option here, but my question is, can we upload photos and files on this forum?
Member with 371 posts.

03-Nov-2002, 01:57 AM #8
Smile Upload of Photo of E-Mail in Question
Here is the e-mail with the blank "To" line.
Attached Thumbnails
How Do I Hide Recipients' Names in E-Mail?-what-i-m-talking-about.jpg  
Computer Specs

03-Nov-2002, 02:01 AM #9
I see you got it to work.

Attach file:
Maximum size: 204800 bytes
Valid file extensions: gif jpg png txt bmp jpeg
Member with 371 posts.

03-Nov-2002, 02:50 AM #10
Angry The Puzzle Continues!
Check THIS out!!

The puzzle continues:

Here is what I have discovered so far:

If I put my address, along with other recipients' addresses, only in the "Bcc" box and nothing in the "To" box or the "Cc" box, I get a letter with my address in the "To" box. [U]I DO NOT WANT THIS![U]

If I put another recipient's address in the "Cc" box and my e-mail address in the "Bcc" box, THEN I get a blank "To" box!
BUT...the "Cc" box will, of course, announce the recipient of the copy! [U] I DO NOT WANT THIS EITHER![U]

My desire is to compose an email in which ALL recipients' names are hidden, including the main recipient and all blind copy recipients! In other words, I want all names, including the recipient who receives the email to see no name in any recipient panels!
Senior Member with 674 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
03-Nov-2002, 12:33 PM #11
Dunno why this is so important to you but that is not my business. I am still interested on how this is done and what the pupose is........more curiousity then anything.

In my case I have never received emails with blank To: lines, but as I mentioned earlier the To: line reads undisclosed recipients..............I am perplexed because in either situation the email is addressed to me and I know that...........so what purpose does either serve?
Also..............I am not sure about the blank To: line,but in my case with the undisclosed recipient if you right click and view properties it shows the recipient addy anyway.............have you checked to see if this is the case with the blank TO: line also?
If it shows addy in properties it seems a mute point in either case,unless I am missing the point here.
Member with 14,681 posts.

Experience: Advanced
03-Nov-2002, 12:56 PM #12
I think a completely blank To: line with no more information in the headers about sender, may have been a spoofed email. This is really easy to do, but the people that run the mail servers don't generally like it.
Member with 371 posts.

03-Nov-2002, 05:48 PM #13
Cool Academic Interest Only. Also: What Does 'Spoofed' Mean/
You are correct, it makes little, if no, difference whether the recipient's name is in the "To" line or not. After all, no OTHER name appears there if the recipients are put in the "Bcc" box. My interest was largely academic.

What does "spoofed" mean, brendandonhu?
Member with 14,681 posts.

Experience: Advanced
03-Nov-2002, 05:52 PM #14
It means they used fake information when sending the email. This is usually done by connecting to the SMTP server through a telenet program and using certain commands.
Member with 371 posts.

03-Nov-2002, 06:20 PM #15
Thanks for the Info
Thanks. But I doubt that my friend intends to deliberately omit any name from the "To" line. I guess I'll just let this subject be for now! Thanks, everyone, for the information.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!