Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Yahoo and Javascript problem

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 26 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
03-Nov-2011, 07:22 PM #1
Exclamation Yahoo and Javascript problem
ok this this just started happening, when i go to log on to my yahoo email it says this page requires you to have javascript enabled on your browser (im using firefox) I do have it enabled so please dont tell me to enable it cause i know it is and i just re downloaded it to make sure. also the email toolbar i use that takes me directly to my email says failed. any ideas?
Member with 5,633 posts.

04-Nov-2011, 01:20 PM #2
I'm wondering if you are confusing JavaScript with plain Java (the program that runs applets for games etc.) Same name, completely different software. You can download and install Oracle Java but, as far as I know, JavaScript comes integrated in your browser and can't be separately updated.

Go here with Firefox (and your other browser(s) if you want to); http://www.javatester.org/ and click on the orange 'JavaScript' box on the left of the page. If JavaScript is enabled in your browser(s), you will see something like this;

" JavaScript IS WORKING in your web browser
Your web browser supports JavaScript version 2.2
Your web browser is Opera"

In Firefox the JS version number will be will be 1.8 while IE is probably still 1.3 (I haven't looked for a long time!) If the test gives a negative result it presumably means that your settings are wrong or you have some other software preventing scripting eg: NoScript.
Phantom010 has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 31,840 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-Nov-2011, 01:29 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke686 View Post
ok this this just started happening, when i go to log on to my yahoo email it says this page requires you to have javascript enabled on your browser (im using firefox) I do have it enabled so please dont tell me to enable it cause i know it is and i just re downloaded it to make sure. also the email toolbar i use that takes me directly to my email says failed. any ideas?
You did enable JavaScript like the following link explains it, right?

How to Enable JavaScript in Firefox

You cannot download JavaScript, unless your are talking about Java Runtime Environment.
Computer Specs

04-Nov-2011, 02:13 PM #4
so i went to your link TOGG and and even know I think I was getting them mixed up, it says its working.

Phantom, i tryed what you said and the box is checked next to enable java script

This dosent make sence cause it always worked fine, then one day it just stopped.. weird... Ideas??
Computer Specs

04-Nov-2011, 02:21 PM #5
I don't know if Java console is Java or Java script but I just noticed in add-ons it says Java console is incompatible with Firefox 7.0.1

once again, worked before so it don't really make sense but maybe its a problem
Computer Specs

04-Nov-2011, 02:22 PM #6
Computer Specs

04-Nov-2011, 02:30 PM #7
yes
Computer Specs

04-Nov-2011, 02:33 PM #8
your 64bit verson isnt showing up in plugins. but the one i had before was, must of been 32bit
would reinstalling firefox fix this?
Computer Specs

04-Nov-2011, 02:53 PM #9
OK, just noticed something odd in the Java settings. My Java wasn't recognized on the following Java Tester:

http://java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp

(make sure you have the 64-bit version of Java)

Go to Control Panel.

Click on the Java icon.

Click Advanced.

Expand Default Java for browsers.

Make sure you have a check mark on Mozilla Family.

Mine was unchecked!

Please read instructions and questions carefully, and reply in a timely manner... Thank you.

If your problem is solved, please click on the Mark Solved button.
Computer Specs

04-Nov-2011, 03:08 PM #10
i really getting annoyed, after i check the box and exit, it just unchecks itself. it never shows up in plugins like it did with 32 but version, not like that matters cause im still getting the same javascript error. and yahoo keeps makeing me change my password
Computer Specs

04-Nov-2011, 03:40 PM #11
I'm not sure but this seems like a new bug for Java. I've recently uninstalled Java 7 'cause it wasn't really a version for the general public. Not that I was having problems with it but decided not to take any chances. So I reverted to version 6 update 29. Seems like removing a version to install another one caused that box the get unchecked. Or, was it always like that? Maybe something else in my browser makes it necessary to check that option in the Java control panel?

Perhaps TOGG would care to comment?
Computer Specs

04-Nov-2011, 03:46 PM #12
What does it say when you go HERE?

Just found THIS!
Computer Specs

04-Nov-2011, 04:15 PM #13
says its enabled, but thats not javascript, its java. im out of ideas here, hope i dont have to resort to changing emails or browsers...
Computer Specs

04-Nov-2011, 04:19 PM #14
Does it say you have a 64-bit version?

I must say I'm a little confused as to whether you are having trouble with Java or JavaScript.
Member with 5,633 posts.

04-Nov-2011, 04:25 PM #15
I was one of those people that updated to Java 7 as soon as it first became available, not having noticed any information that it was not then intended for 'general' use! I didn't revert to version 6 U 27 (which was the previous version I'd had) because I wasn't having any problems with 7 and am now using 7.01, also without any problems.

However, when 7.01 was installed, I did receive notice that it was incompatible with the Java Console so it (the console) is now marked as 'Disabled' in my Firefox Addons Manager. That unilateral action by Mozilla hasn't altered the settings in the Java console available via the Control Panel though because both 'IE' and 'Mozilla Family' are checked, so I'm guessing that that is the default setting.

Also, I know Oracle Java still works in Firefox because I use FF to run the Secunia Online Software Inspector, and that must have Java to run! .

Unfortunately, I don't think any of this clarifies whether Luke686's problem is with Java, JavaScript or something else?

PS for the avoidance of doubt I should probably make it clear that I don't have any 64 bit software!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!