Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: a248.e.akamai.net

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 21 posts.

19-Dec-2011, 11:59 AM #1
Solved: a248.e.akamai.net
This is the third time this has happened. Seems just when I try to go to Facebook.com (yeah, I know!). Chrome stops me with the warning and the IP address isn't that for facebook. On my laptop I get to Facebook ok and the IP address there is 69.171.223.13. BUT on the desktop (same router), the IP address is 24,143.201.211. Both use Win 7. Router is Linksys wrt310n.

Ron

Found another forum where this problem was noted; someone said that Linksys routers can get "dns poisoning" and that rebooting the router will solve the problem. It seems to have done just that.
Phantom010 has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 32,318 posts.

Experience: Advanced
19-Dec-2011, 12:55 PM #2
Try clearing Google Chrome's cookies and history.

If no luck,

Click Start > Programs > Accessories > right-click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

In the Command Prompt, type: ipconfig /flushdns

Press Enter.

Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
19-Dec-2011, 01:05 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonInNYC View Post
This is the third time this has happened. Seems just when I try to go to Facebook.com (yeah, I know!). Chrome stops me with the warning and the IP address isn't that for facebook. On my laptop I get to Facebook ok and the IP address there is 69.171.223.13. BUT on the desktop (same router), the IP address is 24,143.201.211. Both use Win 7. Router is Linksys wrt310n.

Ron

Found another forum where this problem was noted; someone said that Linksys routers can get "dns poisoning" and that rebooting the router will solve the problem. It seems to have done just that.
You can mark your thread "solved" using the button at the top of the page.
Computer Specs

19-Dec-2011, 01:33 PM #4
Well, if the problem is indeed solved, which wasn't that clear in the first place (It seems to have done just that?), then click on .
Ent   (Josiah) Ent is offline Ent is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,270 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
19-Dec-2011, 03:12 PM #5
If not, try Phantom's solution first. If that doesn't work, we might have to look at a possible hijack case. I wouldn't expect this to be a router poisoning attack if the other machine on the same network gets through just fine.
Computer Specs

19-Dec-2011, 03:19 PM #6
However, Akamai is legit. It's a fast caching solution for websites which have a great number of hits, like Facebook, Microsoft and Yahoo. It's using HTTPS (SSL).
Ent   (Josiah) Ent is offline Ent is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,270 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
19-Dec-2011, 03:23 PM #7
Ah, I didn't realize that. Thank you for the correction Phantom.
Computer Specs

21-Dec-2011, 12:18 PM #8
This happened again today and again I used ipconfig /flushdns and that worked great with no down time. BUT, any way to find out what site is poisoning my dns cache?

Ron
Computer Specs

21-Dec-2011, 12:20 PM #9
Phantom010: So, in that case, using Akamai is probably not due to something malicious. But then, why does Chrome object? Is this a problem with Chrome, detecting Akamai and deciding it is malicious when it's not?
Computer Specs

21-Dec-2011, 12:26 PM #10
I don't think Chrome can't differentiate Akamai from a malicious website in that warning. It's simply detecting a different IP address instead of the one you should normally be getting for Facebook. But why you are having the issue is beyond me.
Computer Specs

21-Dec-2011, 12:27 PM #11
I'm not sure I'm having an issue besides Chrome's colorful warning. Of course, I'm nervous about clicking on the link, coward that I am.
Computer Specs

21-Dec-2011, 12:39 PM #12
The security settings inside Chrome on that particular computer might be configured differently than the ones on the computers not giving you the warning messages. Try comparing them.

How to Configure Chrome Security Settings
Computer Specs

21-Dec-2011, 12:43 PM #13
Thanks. This helps.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!