Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows Live Mail 2011

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 15 posts.

15-Jan-2012, 02:44 PM #1
Windows Live Mail 2011
How do I remove imap.gmail.com from my Windows Live mail 2011 account? I had synchronized my windows email with gmail, and I no longer want to do that. I can't seem to find a way to keep gmail from checking my mail through my Windows Live Mail account. I'm afraid if I delete my gmail account I would no longer have access to my Windows Live Mail account.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,222 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Jan-2012, 03:01 PM #2
Hi,
Have you tried this already, working in Gmail, not Windows Live Mail?
This is how to enable imap in Gmail. http://support.google.com/mail/bin/a...n&answer=77695 To disable I think you need to go in to Gmail and uncheck the enable option.

Last edited by 1002richards; 15-Jan-2012 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: Spelling!
Computer Specs

15-Jan-2012, 07:17 PM #3
Yes, I have already tried that. When I disable imap in gmail, I no longer can send or receive mail in Windows Live Mail because Windows Live Mail was configured for gmail. I cannot find a way to eliminate this configuration.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,552 posts.

15-Jan-2012, 10:27 PM #4
Are you saying that you use the Windows Live Mail 2011 email client and no longer want to access your gmail account using it? If so, can't you just delete/remove the unwanted account?
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

15-Jan-2012, 10:33 PM #5
What other account do you have set up in Windows Live Mail? It's just a client that allows you to access various e-mail accounts.
Computer Specs

15-Jan-2012, 10:45 PM #6
What I mean is that I have always used Windows Live Mail 2011 as my mail client. I had a gmail account that I liked to use when I was not at my computer. I decided that I would configure my gmail account with my Windows Mail Account so that mail being sent to my Windows Live Mail account would also be received in my gmail account. I configured it using IMAP. My Windows Live Mail account now using imap.gmail.com to receive and send mail. If I disable IMAP in gmail I no longer am able to receive or send mail in my Windows Live Mail account. I would like to know how I can get back to the way it was before I did the configuration. I cannot find a way to reverse this configuration.
Computer Specs

15-Jan-2012, 10:55 PM #7
I do not have any other account set up in Windows Live Mail 2011.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,552 posts.

16-Jan-2012, 10:34 AM #8
I do not understand "Windows Mail Account" nor "Windows Live Mail account." The free "Hotmail" service is sometimes referred to as "Window Live Hotmail"; is that what you mean by either or both?

You have only your gmail account set up in Windows Live Mail 2011 (WLM) but do not wish to continue accessing gmail through it? Just stop using WLM, else delete the gmail account and set up a different account. I worry that I am missing something here.

16-Jan-2012, 10:50 AM #9
If you don't have any other accounts set up in Windows Live Mail, then when you stop using it with your Gmail account, you obviously won't be using it at all.
Computer Specs

16-Jan-2012, 12:04 PM #10
I do not use Hotmail to send email, I use Windows Live Mail 2011. I do not want to stop using it. I also have a Gmail account that I had not used previously. Several weeks ago I decided I would like to try to use Gmail along with my WLM 2011 account. I configured Gmail with my WLM using IMAP. After using Gmail this way for several weeks, I decided I do not like it. I would like to undo the process and go back using WLM only. Now when I check for mail in my WLM account, it first checks for new mail in my Gmail account, then it checks for mail in my WLM account. The new messages then appear in both accounts. I want to revert back to the way my mail was handled before I configured the 2 accounts. I want to have 2 separate accounts again. I would even go as far as deleting my Gmail account. What I am afraid of if I do this is that I would no longer be able to use my WLM account since the 2 accounts were configured together. I have gone into my Gmail settings and disabled IMAP. When I do this, I am unable to use my WML account. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

16-Jan-2012, 01:55 PM #11
Windows Live Mail is a program. It is not an e-mail service. If you only have your Gmail account configured in Windows Live Mail, and you remove that, then there will be no accounts set up to send and receive e-mail.
Computer Specs

16-Jan-2012, 05:18 PM #12
Thanks for all your suggestions. I am aware that WLM is an e-mail program and not a service. I use Time Warner roadrunner as my provider and had my e-mail sent through this service using WLM. I have figured out how to remove the Gmail account from my WLM program. I have things back where I want them, and all my mail composed in WLM is sent through roadrunner.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!