Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Can't sign out of hotmail

(!)

Junior Member with 26 posts.

21-Jan-2012, 12:12 PM #1
Unhappy Can't sign out of hotmail
Hello everybody. I'm hoping I can get some insight into a recent problem. For the last month or so I have not been able to sign out of Hotmail. I've tried all the solutions I can find or think of, like making sure 3ed party cookies are enabled, deleting all cookies, even uninstalling and reinstalling my browser (Aurora 11 latest). I have a dual boot system, and the same thing happens on both operating systems (even though one of them is not used very often to keep it clean). I run Windows 7 Pro 64. I've noticed the problem happens with Aurora (and Firefox, I tried installing it back) but does not happen with Explorer.

Any ideas, anybody?

Thanks, gordoncanada
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

21-Jan-2012, 01:30 PM #2
The "Sign Out" link doesn't work?
Attached Thumbnails
Can't sign out of hotmail-signout.jpg  

21-Jan-2012, 01:51 PM #3
More Specific
Thanks for your reply.

The sign out link works, but a page comes up stating that sign-out isn't complete "because we couldn't sign you out of these sites: hotmail." The page suggests deleting cookies, but I have done so and more. The funny thing is that Explorer has no problem signing out.

gordoncanada

21-Jan-2012, 02:02 PM #4
Computer Specs
Member with 144,849 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Jan-2012, 02:04 PM #5
WOT lists the site as having a poor reputation..

21-Jan-2012, 02:42 PM #6
Thanks for the suggestion, but I tried the instructions on the site you provided and it does not effect the problem. I wonder what's going on?
Thanks, gordoncanada
Member with 4 posts.

21-Jan-2012, 05:32 PM #7
Me too
Hi. I've had the same problem. I am just now starting to troubleshoot but think it could be Internet Explorer. I thought at first it could be messenger - I use that to sign in automatically however, I've exited the program and used IE to sign in through the Hotmail page and get the same error when signing out. I don't have Messenger on my laptop and it does the same thing using IE.

When I repeat the process using Chrome Browser (from Google) it doesn't happen. It signs me right out and directs me to my homepage.

I've ran Eset (antivirus) Online and my local AVG. I'm going to try and see if there are updates for IE and will let you know how I get it fixed - if I can.

21-Jan-2012, 07:56 PM #8
Good Luck
I just tried in safe mode and hotmail still can't sign out successfully. Funny that it does it with Explorer for you but Firefox with me. In each case it's probably our main browser. I can sign out of hotmail successfully at work and on my computer downstairs. A virus check came up negative.
I look forward to seeing what you turn up. I'll post here if I find out any more information.
gordoncanada

22-Jan-2012, 12:14 AM #9
Start Firefox in safe mode with all add-ons disabled.

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/Safe%20Mode
Member with 4 posts.

22-Jan-2012, 12:40 AM #10
I think you're right and from what I found at the Windows Live forums it's been an ongoing issue with Miscrosoft. They added some features a few weeks ago and I bet they screwed something up. I was thinking I'd just wait until they got around to fixing it - which you know takes until a bazillion people complain.

22-Jan-2012, 06:42 AM #11
The same thing happens in safe mode. I guess we can only assume this problem is Microsoft's and hope they address it.
gordoncanada

22-Jan-2012, 11:28 AM #12
Why is it Microsoft's problem? It doesn't happen on everyone's computer, and you're only having the problem with Firefox. Sounds like a problem with your Firefox install.
Member with 4 posts.

22-Jan-2012, 12:01 PM #13
Double Helix: Ummm, well, since Microsoft has admitted its a problen on their end, I think that makes it their issue. And, GordonCanada is not the only FF user with this issue nor am I the only IE user, per Miscrosoft. Besides, your logic with it being an install problem doesn't make sense since everything has been fine up until when MS made changes a few weeks ago. If you visit the MS forum, there are many, many users who are complaining and MS is telling them they know and are working on it. I'm sure they'll fix it once they track it down.

Last edited by dawglover; 22-Jan-2012 at 01:32 PM..
Email This Email  Print This Print  Bookmark This Bookmark  Tweet This Send to Facebook Send to MySpace Send to StumbleUpon Digg This | More Services More
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!