Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Cannot log off websites in IE 9

(!)

Member with 98 posts.

17-Feb-2012, 08:22 PM #1
Solved: Cannot log off websites in IE 9
We are having an unusual problem on some recently installed HP computers running Windows 7. The problem is that when a user browses to some website using IE9 that requires a log in, once that user logs in, they are the "permanent owner" of that website. By this I mean that their username and password information seems to be stored somewhere and cannot be deleted. So once they log off and someone else browses to that website, the username and password fields are automatically filled in (very quickly) and the log in information is sent (again so quickly that this can't be interrupted) and the website logs back for the "old" user. In fact, for those types of websites that when you log off it redirects back to the log in page (such as my.yahoo.com), attempting to log off is futile. The log in page gets filled in and launched so fast that it's like being in an endless loop (or living groundhog day). Unfortunately, these are public computers that are meant to be available for multiple users from the general public, so this situation is unacceptable. For now, we have turned off IE9 in control panel and are forcing users to use Firefox as their browser. However, many users are unfamiliar with Firefox, so this is not the ideal solution.

Here's what we have tried so far to no avail:

1) Delete all web history, cookies, stored password, make sure option to save passwords is not checked, and exit IE 9. Information about log in to any site that has previously been logged in is still available the next time IE 9 is launched.

2) Turned off IE 9 in control panel and then turned it back on. Didn't matter, previous websites that had been logged in to still launched automatically once their log in page was browsed to.

Our IT person is completely baffled. Web searches have been unhelpful, they all want to help us understand how to get the browser to save usernames and passwords.

Any helpful hints will be most appreciated. Thanks in advance
Member with 98 posts.

19-Feb-2012, 08:32 PM #2
bump
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

19-Feb-2012, 08:54 PM #3
Member with 98 posts.

19-Feb-2012, 09:19 PM #4
I should have been more specific in my first post, but making sure forms and passwords were not to be Autocompleted was one of the things that's been tried already. Despite that option being disabled, IE 9 still autocompletes the log in fields on a website after the first time someone logs in to that web site.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

19-Feb-2012, 10:05 PM #5
List all add-ons you've installed.
Member with 98 posts.

19-Feb-2012, 11:20 PM #6
Will try to get the list of add-ons and post up tomorrow night.
Member with 1 posts.

20-Feb-2012, 10:54 AM #7
can't log out of web sites
This is caused by an HP program for remembering fingerprint sign ins. It is an add on in internet explorer that shows up as truesite web log on but i couldn't disable it.

it is in the control panel as HP Simple Pass 2011. I just uninstalled it.
Member with 98 posts.

20-Feb-2012, 08:34 PM #8
It was indeed related to HP SimplePass 2011. Apparently it installed an add on from Authen Tec TrueSuites. Couldn't disable the add on from within IE-9, but when I uninstalled HP SimplePass 2011 from Control Panel, the AuthenTec TrueSuites add on no longer appeared, but more importantly, no more issues with saved username/passwords! Thanks for all the help.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!