Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Yahoo email garbles attachments

(!)

Member with 150 posts.

Experience: Master Computer Technician
09-Mar-2012, 01:31 AM #1
Yahoo email garbles attachments
I have a weird issue. Using Yahoo webmail, When I receive an email message with an attachment, the filename gets mangled when I try to download the attachment.. For example, an attachment is called 11530.csv. When I click to download it, I get this "scanning is complete and no viruses were detected" Norton Virus scan status message that Yahoo does automatically. When I click to download the file, the filename becomes a bunch of characters like this: "=_utf-8_B_MS0xMTMxMDgxXzAxMDM4ODU5XzAyXzI3XzEyLmNzdg==_="

Now, here is where it gets weirder - I can use Windows 7, (32 or 64 bit) or Windows XP and it makes no difference. I can use IE8 or IE9 and it makes no difference. I can log into my Yahoo mail on all of my computers and it makes no difference.

However, if I check my Yahoo mail with Google Chrome, the download works fine and the attachment filename is not mangled. It works as it should. Also, if I forward the message to a different email account and then forward it back to my Yahoo account, then it works as it should in IE8 and IE9.

I've tried clearing the cache and resetting IE settings. I've tried IE8 and IE9 and I've verified the problem on the same email account using 5 different computers, including a friends computer that has never been to Yahoo mail before.

I am baffled. Any idea what is going on here?

Thanks!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
email, web-mail, webmail, yahoo

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!