Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Gmail and Outlook 2010

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 417 posts.

Experience: Advanced
30-Mar-2012, 04:26 PM #1
Solved: Gmail and Outlook 2010
I'm an Outlook user and want to experiment with Gmail for a while to learn it. Gmail supports pop servers, but unless I'm missing something they support using Outlook and other pop clients for reading email fromGmail. i.e., sent to sombody@gmail.com. I want to do the opposite and have Gmail read email from sombody@pacbell.net.

I want Gmail to grab the email from my ATT/Yahoo account. Is this doable? Can't find the "how-to" on it.

Framing the question another way, is there a way to use Gmail while retaining my current ATT/Yahoo email addr?

I'm trying to shake that bleepin error box that keeps prompting me to re-enter my username/password.

thanks!
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

30-Mar-2012, 10:33 PM #2
If you want to use Outlook for your e-mail, I don't understand what you'll "learn" about Gmail. It's just another e-mail address.

You can set up your Gmail account to check other accounts with these instructions.
https://support.google.com/mail/bin/...n&answer=21288

I don't know if you can then pull everything into Outlook, but, again, I don't see the point of adding a Gmail account into this mix.
Member with 2 posts.

31-Mar-2012, 12:40 PM #3
Directions for Getting Yahoo Mail into Gmail
PCGuy,

The instructions for doing this are at:

http://iwantmyemail.com/2011/08/the-...il-connection/

Have a great day,

--Bill
Computer Specs
Member with 417 posts.

31-Mar-2012, 12:48 PM #4
Reasons for learning Gmail are/were as follows: 1) to help a technical challenged neighbor who insists he can't send an email (Gmail) to more than one recipient at a time as he did with his Juno email. i.e., thinks Gmail has no addr prompting or group address capability or canít do ďname, name, name, Ö..Ē (wrong obviously, works just fine). So I imported my Outlook Contacts list and found Gmail works great and does everything he wants, 2) to see if Gmail is a suitable Outlook replacement for me to avoid the nagging and aggravating password prompt pop-ups Iíve been getting from the ATT/Yahoo server for the past 2 yrs. (long story). Itís possible Iíve since found a fix for thisÖ.fingers crossed, 3) Itís fun to learn new apps to see if they are better than old apps.

Thanks for link. I'll check out Mail Fetcher, but the existence of that app answers my question about Gmail being able to fetch ATT/Yahoo email on it's own. That's what I originally wanted to do, but issue is moot if the Outlook password box pop-up problem is fixed (I've been fooled before, so only time will tell). This has been a big issue for a lot of people for a long time, see here --> http://www.slipstick.com/problems/th...ssword-dialog/
Computer Specs
Member with 417 posts.

31-Mar-2012, 12:55 PM #5
Re iwantmyemail.com, sorry, any solution needs to be FREE! Existing ATT/Yahoo email is free with my ATT DSL account....but thanks for the reply. Someone's always trying to separate us from our $.
Moderator with 13,766 posts.

31-Mar-2012, 01:42 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcguy9441 View Post
Re iwantmyemail.com, sorry, any solution needs to be FREE! Existing ATT/Yahoo email is free with my ATT DSL account....but thanks for the reply. Someone's always trying to separate us from our $.
Hi pcguy9441

Sorry, but the solution posted by OutlookBill is free.
You can setup additional email accounts in Gmail and have Gmail pull messages from those accounts into Gmail.

You do not have to use a Yahoo email account. Just use the server settings for your ATT account when configuring.

Let us know if that works for you or not.
Computer Specs
Member with 417 posts.

31-Mar-2012, 01:52 PM #7
Yes, I see that and am playing with it now. Apparently Yahoo email thru ATT (what I have) is equivalent to the upgraded pay version of regular Yahoo email.

thanks.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!