Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Multiple copies of emails or none at all!

(!)

Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Advanced
11-May-2012, 01:42 PM #1
Question Multiple copies of emails or none at all!
System: Windows XP HOME SP3
Outlook Express 5
A Tiscali email address (now Talktalk)
A Windows Live Mail Account
Internet speed varies between 0.25mb/s to 2mb/s

Hi,
I have been working on this problem for a client for over a week now and am getting nowhere!
Originally the problem was that they were receiving multiple copies of the same email each time the opened Outlook Express.
I logged into their mail sever via the internet and cleared all the old emails off the server incase one had become corrupted. They were also suffering incredibly slow internet speeds, (0.25mb/s) so I increased the time OE allowed before deciding the server had timed out. Sadly, none of this worked, so I tried setting up the account afresh having re installed OE and also creating a new identity. The problems remained, so I tried setting up their email account in Outlook 2003, however this made no difference.

The problems then became worse as they could no longer receive ANY emails, but still send them.
I moved on to assuming the problem lay with the mail service provided by Tiscali /TalkTalk, so set up a free account using hotmail, and set up OE to receive. This worked perfectly for about 3 days, but now the problem has returned and again at first they were getting 6 of each email, with that dropping down to none.
I read elsewhere online about deleting the file "Pop3uidl.dbx" however after doing this, they received 10 copies of each email!!!!!

Iím completely at a loss and although i have tried to persuade the client to access the emails via hotmail online, they wish to be able to download them preferably through OE...

Any advice ideas or hopefully solutions will be most welcome!
Member with 24 posts.

12-May-2012, 09:34 PM #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisenatcho View Post
System: Windows XP HOME SP3

Outlook Express 5
A Tiscali email address (now Talktalk)
A Windows Live Mail Account
Internet speed varies between 0.25mb/s to 2mb/s

Hi,
I have been working on this problem for a client for over a week now and am getting nowhere!
Originally the problem was that they were receiving multiple copies of the same email each time the opened Outlook Express.
I logged into their mail sever via the internet and cleared all the old emails off the server incase one had become corrupted. They were also suffering incredibly slow internet speeds, (0.25mb/s) so I increased the time OE allowed before deciding the server had timed out. Sadly, none of this worked, so I tried setting up the account afresh having re installed OE and also creating a new identity. The problems remained, so I tried setting up their email account in Outlook 2003, however this made no difference.

The problems then became worse as they could no longer receive ANY emails, but still send them.
I moved on to assuming the problem lay with the mail service provided by Tiscali /TalkTalk, so set up a free account using hotmail, and set up OE to receive. This worked perfectly for about 3 days, but now the problem has returned and again at first they were getting 6 of each email, with that dropping down to none.
I read elsewhere online about deleting the file "Pop3uidl.dbx" however after doing this, they received 10 copies of each email!!!!!

Iím completely at a loss and although i have tried to persuade the client to access the emails via hotmail online, they wish to be able to download them preferably through OE...

Any advice ideas or hopefully solutions will be most welcome!
What domain are the duplicate emails coming from. Does this happen with every single message sent. It has all the signs of a server issue since it's happening across multiple email clients. Let me know though.
Member with 4 posts.

13-May-2012, 06:34 AM #3
Quote:
What domain are the duplicate emails coming from.
Hi, Thanks for your interest,
it is happening for both the @tiscali.co.uk account and also for the @live.co.uk account.
and yes, it is for every email, regardless of the size / sender / domain sent from.
Member with 40 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
16-May-2012, 12:27 AM #4
Check the date/ time/ timezone on the PC. Set to correct date/ time/ zone.
Member with 4 posts.

19-May-2012, 10:10 AM #5
Thanks,
I have checked time date but it is all correct and CMOS is OK. Problem/s remain
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
email, multiple emails, no email, outlook express help, windows xp

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!