Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Can't See Embedded Images in Thunderbird

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 466 posts.

Experience: Beginner
01-Jul-2012, 09:34 AM #16
OK, that makes it sound a little simpler, but I have a few questions. I know my username, because that's my email address, right? However, I dont know about my server settings or port numbers. Also I have no clue what my password is because the account was set up when I first got the computer and the person who set it up automatically saved it so that i dont have to input it when I checm my mail, so I have no idea what it could be. So....can you help me with that stuff first before I go messing with it? Thanks so much!
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 4,904 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
01-Jul-2012, 10:10 AM #17
To get all your account info, click Tools>Account Settings.
In the left pane select your account (it usually will open already selected).
In the right pane:
Account Name - this is strictly for how it displays in TB and can be anything you want.
Your Name - this is what recipients of mail will see and also can be anything you like.
E-mail Address - the address for this account.

Now in the left pane click Server Settings.

In the right pane, this is what you need to set up a new account in a new Profile.

Server Name - this is the incoming mail server
Port: the port used to connect to the server
User Name: this is the name the account logs into the server with. If it's your full e-mail address be sure to use that for the new setup.
Security Settings - make sure they are the same after setting up the account in the new profile.

To get your passwords, in TB click Tools>Options>Advanced tab>Passwords tab.
Click the Saved Passwords button, then Show Passwords.

That should give you everything you need when setting up the account in the new profile.

If you have any problems with the new account setup, you can always open TB into the old profile to look at them again.

While I'm thinking of it, be sure to NOT remove or delete anything in the old profile and DO NOT remove the profile in the Profile Manager. You can have and use multiple Profiles, so it doesn't hurt anything to leave it.
Computer Specs
Member with 466 posts.

04-Jul-2012, 03:18 PM #18
Well, I thought I did everything correctly and I followed your directions, but the new profile looks the same and none of the old emails has jumped over to the new account

and now I dont know how to open up the older account

Should I just give up on TB and use a different program?
Computer Specs

04-Jul-2012, 03:51 PM #19
To open TB in the Old Profile, Start>Run>type thunderbird.exe -P>OK to open the Profile Manager.
Select the old Profile and click Start Thunderbird.
Unchecking the "Don't ask at startup" will allow the Profile Manager to open each time you start Thunderbird so you can select which Profile to start in.

When you first set up a new Profile and create your account in it, only mail that is still on the server will download to it, not the mail from the old Profile.
If mail in the new Profile doesn't have the problem with graphics, then we can move things from the old Profile.
Computer Specs
Member with 466 posts.

05-Jul-2012, 07:36 PM #20
OK, I understand...SO, I checked the new profile and the emails look the same in the new profile...with broken images.
Computer Specs
Member with 466 posts.

10-Jul-2012, 08:28 PM #21
Any words of wisdom? Will it be difficult to transfer my emails to a different program? What program is better?
Computer Specs

11-Jul-2012, 06:00 PM #22
Quote:
Originally Posted by olabola View Post
Any words of wisdom? Will it be difficult to transfer my emails to a different program? What program is better?
Sorry for the delay getting back to this.
Since the problem seems to happen in a new Profile, that means it's either an outside influence (AV, Firewall, etc) messing up the mails or it's a problem in the TB program files.

Fastest way to solve a problem with the TB program is to reinstall it.
Since you did a major version jump from 3 to 13, it would be best to do the install as a "clean" install (new program and new Profile) to see if the images work.

First back up your Profile(s).
In TB click Help>Troubleshooting Information>Show Folder button.
The folder that opens is the Profile you're currently using.
Close Thunderbird.
Click the Up button on the Toolbar of the Profile folder to go up to the Main Profile folder (you should see all the Profiles you have, each folder being a separate Profile).
Click the Up button again and you will move up to the Thunderbird folder and see the Profiles folder along with the Crash Reports folder and Profiles.ini file.
Select the Profiles folder and click Edit>Copy.
Go to your desktop and right click in a blank area, then click Paste.
That should give you a copy of the Profiles folder. Open it and check that the various Profile folders are inside it.

Uninstall Thunderbird in Add/Remove Programs.
When asked to remove user data, click yes.
Go HERE and download a new TB installer.
Install Thunderbird, set up your account, let it download the mail sitting on the server and see if it displays them properly.
If it does, I'll have you clone your Profile from the backup you put on the desktop (it's very easy).
Computer Specs
Member with 466 posts.

18-Jul-2012, 05:53 AM #23
Sorry I took so long to respond, but I was nervous about doing this...but this morning I tried and was not successful in setting up a new profile. I was able to copy the profiles to the desktop, and uninstall, and get a new version like you stated. But, when I tried to set up the new account I got an error message after putting my email and password info into the boxes that said:
"TB failed to find the settings for your email account."

Not sure what to do now?
Computer Specs

18-Jul-2012, 07:20 AM #24
Make sure that the server settings are the same as what you had previously used.
Pay special attention to the Username.
Computer Specs
Member with 466 posts.

18-Jul-2012, 12:48 PM #25
Quote:
Originally Posted by throoper View Post
Make sure that the server settings are the same as what you had previously used.
Pay special attention to the Username.
I didnt change any setting, it pre-populated my old settings.
Computer Specs

18-Jul-2012, 02:32 PM #26
Quote:
Originally Posted by olabola View Post
I didnt change any setting, it pre-populated my old settings.
Right. But are they exactly the same as what you had?
You type in your username and password and it automatically finds the server settings.
Problem is you really can't trust the wizard to not abbreviate the username or use the wrong settings.
If you forgot to write them down or have lost them, it's not a big problem. We can just clone in one of the Profiles you saved to your desktop.
We'll likely do that anyway, but it would be good to see if the problem is still occurring with both a new install and new Profile.
Computer Specs
Member with 466 posts.

18-Jul-2012, 06:21 PM #27
No, I kept the stuff I wrote down from last time, but the box that popped up for this newest profile has all the boxes filled in with "autodetect" rather than actual information. So, I dont know what it is using to populate the form....if that answers your question.
Computer Specs

18-Jul-2012, 06:54 PM #28
Type your Username in the Your Name line.
Type your E-mail address.
Type your password.
Click Continue.
On the next box, click Manual Config.
Make sure all fields have your correct information and click Done.
There should be drop arrows at the end of each line that will give you options to choose from or you can just highlight and retype the info if what you want isn't on the drop lists.
If it won't let you make changes, click Advanced Config to create the account with the info it auto filled in and then you can make changes to the Account in Server Settings.
Computer Specs
Member with 466 posts.

18-Jul-2012, 07:09 PM #29
I have a different set up box this time than from the last and dont want to mess stuff up by putting incorrect information into the boxes. I know that there is a way to take a "picture" of your screen...can you tell me how to do that so I can show you what i mean?
Computer Specs

18-Jul-2012, 07:25 PM #30
To capture the active window (just the box without all the desktop around it) press Alt+Print Screen on you keyboard. That will copy the image to your clipboard.
Click Start>Programs>Accessories>Paint.
In Paint, click Edit>Paste.
Your image should appear in the Paint window.
Click File>Save as and set the File of type line to JPG or PNG and save it to your desktop (or other convenient location).

To upload it to your next post, click Advanced and click the paper clip icon on the Message window of the post.
Select and upload your image.

I took a couple screenshots of my own.
The attached should be the first box you see in the account setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: Can't See Embedded Images in Thunderbird-account-setup.png  
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!