Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Restore Firefox Favorites

(!)

Member with 74 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-Jun-2012, 04:50 PM #1
Question Solved: Restore Firefox Favorites
I had a hard drive crash a few months ago and I had saved all of my Firefox bookmarks onto a USB drive and named the folder Favorites. The old Operating system was Vista, it is now Windows 7, but I cannot import the saved bookmarks into Firefox.
I am going into the Firefox browser, clicking on the Firefox tab, Bookmarks, Show all bookmarks, Import and backup, Import from HTML. I then am going into my Favorites folder on my USB drive and click on the folder. That is as far as I can get, the folder does have all of the old Firefox links saved on it, but when I click on the folder when you look at File Name there is no name there but it does say HTML in a drop down box next to the File Name box that is blank.

Suggestions appreciated. TIA.
mhd1360 mhd1360 is offline mhd1360 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 416 posts.

21-Jun-2012, 10:49 AM #2
Firefox knows .Json and .HTML file for restore.
If you have saved an "HTML" file for your bookmarks, from "Import and backup" Click "Restore" and "Choose file" then open HTML file.
If if doesn't work, check your HTML file by double click on it and see if your bookmark links are there.
Computer Specs
Member with 51,993 posts.

21-Jun-2012, 11:37 AM #3
How did you make the original backup? Did you use Export from Firefox or do something else? You can only import html or json, as mentioned.
Member with 74 posts.

21-Jun-2012, 11:49 AM #4
I think I have them saved under JSON instead of HTML. I tried what you suggested below and when I go to Import and backup, then click on restore, and then chose file what shows under file name is nothing at all , to the right of that is a drop box that says JSON or I can select All Files. I have tried to Select the folder the bookmarks are in called Favorites and nothing happens.

Alternatively, when I go to import and backup, then go to import bookmarks from HTML, a window pops up, I select my USB flash drive, then the window has under file name nothing is listed and HTML is listed in the drop box. When I click on the Favorites folder that has the bookmarks inside it, again nothing happens.

I had thought that I had this saved under HTML, how do I find out whether I saved them under HTML or JSON?
I can click on the subfolders and open the subfolders to see the bookmarks appear to all be there in the subfolders.

At this point, I had thought I saved them correctly but now I am not sure. I think what I did was to go into Firefox, click on bookmarks, show all bookmarks and then went under the import and backup tab and then select export HTML. Which was then exported to the USB drive. All the bookmarks I saved are in subfolders and named and they are then in 1 folder called Favorites.
I am using Firefox 13.0 now, not sure what version I had when I saved this last year but I usually was up to date with Firefox.
Computer Specs
Member with 416 posts.

21-Jun-2012, 12:07 PM #5
If you have access to .Json so the file is .Json and is not corrupted
Copy .Json file to your desktop.
Now you have the address.
When you "choose a file" from "Restore", browse your desktop and select that file.
Member with 74 posts.

21-Jun-2012, 12:33 PM #6
I am not sure if what I saved is JSON or HTML, how do I tell? I am not sure what you mean by access to Json, but I was able to go ahead from my flash drive and save the entire folder to the desktop.
When I try to choose the file from restore and select the file from the desktop nothing happens except the subfolders open when I click on the file itself.
Member with 74 posts.

21-Jun-2012, 12:37 PM #7
I went in and looked and there was 1 file saved in the folder with a JSON extension that was labeled bookmarks. I was able to import that instead and know I have about 90% of my favorites/bookmarks so I will take that. I appreciate the help.
Computer Specs
Member with 416 posts.

21-Jun-2012, 12:38 PM #8
Just see the extension.
Before that you should UNcheck "Hide Extension files" from Folder Option.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!