Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Locked out of gmail

(!)

Member with 4 posts.

01-Jul-2012, 11:57 AM #1
Locked out of gmail
As of 19 June, I am locked out of my gmail account, with no access to my addies/phone numbers; folders with receipts for purchased items and other pertinent info, and of course..my emails.
First, I had no choice in the gmail thing; it came as part of my directv package, and although I've tried diligently to 'dump' it and go to Outlook, Outlook Express or whatever....it would never let me complete the steps to change my email provider.
Since finding the "Your account has been disabled" message, I've tried every possible fix. Fuggedaboutit!
Tried to find a Google phone number...finally a friend found one and sent it to me...called and found it was the corporate #...the lady was nice, but sent me to the help site, which I'd been trying for days with no help forthcoming.....sent emails to the Google Team; was told they couldn't help....repeatedly tried to log in to the account. There was no warning about this shut-out....no clue about what heinous crime I've committed or how to atone for it...no sympathy about retrieving my info, then happily consigning gmail to the trash can.
I have called Directv....they didn't shut me down and have no way to help me. Called WildBlue, through whom Directv operates....they didn't shut me down and have no way to help me.....called ViaSat, who provides my WildBlue Exede high speed....they didn't shut me down and have no way to help me. Do you see a pattern here???? Is there ANYTHING I can do, short of sending gmail our firstborn son, to get reinstated long enuff to retrieve my info??
Thanks in advance for any clues you can give!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,292 posts.

01-Jul-2012, 05:01 PM #2
Quote:
First, I had no choice in the gmail thing; it came as part of my directv package, and although I've tried diligently to 'dump' it
Is that why your account is disabled? You asked for it to be closed?

When you try to login to your account exactly what is the error message?

I sure would like to ask why you used the mail account that you did not want, but I suppose that would just satisfy my morbid curiosity and not help the situation.
Member with 4 posts.

01-Jul-2012, 08:40 PM #3
As I said, it was part of the directv package, and altho I tried for years to change to Outlook/Outlook Express, it would only go so far then tell me that I couldn't get OE for some dumb reason. And yes, I followed the instructions religiously each time!
No, I did not ever ask for them to close the account...I like to have an ace in the hole before I burn my bridges! That was the only email I used except for very rare excursions over here to yahoo.

I hated gmail because it was so dissimilar (sp) to OE which I've used since the early 90s...I like to experiment with fonts and colors, which I could set and forget on OE. With gmail, it had maybe 5-6 choices of fonts. OE was reliable, fun (stationary, notes,) and I could use my purchased smiley faces of all kinds (GetSmile) in my emails. Can't do that with gmail. Very pedestrian! Email sent and received worked fine up until midnite on the 18th; that's when I shut down the puter and retired for the night.....when I got up and tried it on the morning of the 19th, I had zip. Either my email log-in kept loading and loading, and never opening, or I'd get the message (in red letters) that I mentioned in my quest for help. YOUR ACCOUNT HAS BEEN DISABLED. No explanation.....no clue on how to fix it....just 'poof; you're outta here!'
The only clue I did get from "The Google Team" was that I had to contact my "apps administrator", which I assume to be me since I'm the only one that uses this computer. BUT..if I can't get into the email to begin with, how can I reach the apps administration????
Anyway, I thank you for responding to me and I pray that you can help me find a fix of some kind! I grew up a few miles west of you....between Rockford and Dixon; does that give me an edge?? LOL
Thanks again.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,292 posts.

02-Jul-2012, 09:00 AM #4
Outlook and Outlook Express are email clients. Google mail (gmail) is a mail service. You can access gmail using web mail (through a browser, apparently what you have been doing) or by using an email client. I usually access my gmail account using Thunderbird, but Outlook and OE should also work.

Do you have a gmail account (<accountname>@gmail.com)? Or do you have a "Google Apps" account (<accountname>@<something other than gmail.com>)? If the latter, you will need to contact your domain administrator, probably DirectTV.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!