Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

First Connect to Internet, Then Wait 2 Minutes, Then Browse

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
04-Jul-2012, 12:34 PM #1
First Connect to Internet, Then Wait 2 Minutes, Then Browse
Laptop misbehaving. I have a HP 2000 with an AMD chip running Windows 7. I have had it for 6 months. And, since I bought it, it has had the following issue. Every time start it up (from shutdown, restart, hibernate or sleep), it connects to my wifi quickly, then I open up my browser (Chrome), then I wait for 1-3 minutes for any website to appear after typing one in. I just get a blue circle spinning around. The computer remains functional (e.g., I can go to Word or Excel and do work), but no browsing for those 1-3 minutes.

Same thing happens if I connect via ethernet. Same thing happens if I use other browsers (I have tried four). Same thing happens regardless of what website I am trying to get to. Same thing happens whether someone else is connected to the wifi at that time or not.

However, this does not happen on any other laptop or device that I or a friend connects to my wifi (including at least three other laptops and three other phones). So the problem is not with the wifi router or with the cable modem.

I have used spybot to immunize, search and "destroy." The only things it finds are some cookies that I then clear out, but no improvement.

In the whole scheme of life, this is minor, but darn it is annoying.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Computer Specs
Moderator with 49,807 posts.

04-Jul-2012, 12:46 PM #2
it may have connected to the wireless but often there is a delay to getting online - i have that on a sony and a fujitsu laptap
with vista and windows 7
there maybe a number of programs starting at that time

once its working its fine all the time correct

whats your home page set to ?
Computer Specs
Member with 2 posts.

04-Jul-2012, 03:01 PM #3
Correct. I should have added that. Once it starts allowing browsing, it works flawlessly. The homepage is cnn.com, but when Chrome starts up I believe it just gives me my eight most recently visited sites in a 4x2 tile format, or if I am bringing it out of sleep mode with Chrome already open then I just have random browsing tabs opened from my last online session.

Again you are correct. It does connect to the wireless quickly, but there is that 1-3 minute delay between establishing the wifi connection and truly being online. And it is specific to this computer.

Any luck decreasing that lag time on your sony or fujitsu?

Thanks
Computer Specs
Moderator with 49,807 posts.

04-Jul-2012, 03:23 PM #4
Quote:
Any luck decreasing that lag time on your sony or fujitsu?
never tried - i usually switch pc on and grab a coffee
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
internet, network, wifi

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!