Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Skype problem

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
04-Jul-2012, 06:12 PM #1
Angry Skype problem
Hi,
I am helping a friend who has a Dell Inspiron N5105 laptop running Vista Home Premium.

It was supplied only recently as part of an insurance claim settlement - she was told it had just been built for her specifically so she expected it to be problem free.

The internet works fine and she can check her email and facebook, etc - but although Skype 4.2 is pre-installed she cannot logon to the service using her ID and password, and neither can I, it just says for ages "Signing in" and eventually "Skype cannot connect to your account - for help click here" but that link doesn't work either.

She has asked for a password reset and logged onto the Skype website to complete this successfully, but the client still does the above - and the same with my own account.

Also, the screen to activate her copy of MS Office XP is corrupted (just showing as blank box!).
To try to resolve both problems, I backed up her files (only a few) and did a factory reset from the recovery partition. The Skype problem remains.

The Office activation wizard now offers to activate over the internet ... but says it can't make a connection to the server, and when I try to use the telephone method it refuses to give us a phone number to call.

I have connected the laptop to a different internet connection and the problems remain.
She tells me that her boss is also unable to activate the latest version of Office that they have too, so this isn't just a Office XP issue (which I realise is 10 years old).

Everything worked perfectly on her old computer, but of course it was stolen in the burglary.

I am at a loss to explain why this is happening with a brand new computer, especially after a factory reset. Can you help me ?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 63,992 posts.

04-Jul-2012, 07:35 PM #2
This certainly does not seem to be a Windows 7 issue so I moved the thread. Not sure this (Web & Email) is the best place for Skype issues, but until somebody has a better idea it will have to do.

Uninstall Skype and then download and install the current version--which is at least 5.1.something.
Computer Specs
Member with 5 posts.

05-Jul-2012, 05:50 AM #3
Exclamation Skpe + Office problem
I placed my request for help in the Windows 7 section because I wanted expert help from people familiar with this OS - as it relates not just to Skype not connecting but also to MS Office being unable to activate over the internet or providing a telephone number to do it over the phone.

Both problems remain even on another internet connection, so I do not believe it to be an internet problem, but a Windows 7 problem.

I would be very grateful if you could move the thread back to Windows 7, because I don't feel I will get the expert assistance I need here in this section of the forum.

I have posted this request for help on other forums in the Windows 7 section and had replies.

Regards,
Julia
Computer Specs
Member with 787 posts.

Experience: Advanced
05-Jul-2012, 08:17 AM #4
I would say un install both and re install... There's not really much more
Computer Specs
Member with 787 posts.

Experience: Advanced
05-Jul-2012, 08:18 AM #5
Also activating by phone may be easier
Computer Specs

05-Jul-2012, 11:00 AM #6
In your first sentence you say, "... Dell Inspiron N5105 laptop running Vista Home Premium." I still do not see how this is a Windows 7 issue. Skype runs fine for me on two (or maybe it's three) Windows 7 systems.

The Office problem also does not seem to be a Windows 7 (or Vista either) issue, but I can't put the thread in the Business Applications forum and here at the same time.

And, by the way, there is still a link in the Windows 7 forum to this thread, so any Windows 7 experts who want to look at a Skype problem will find their way here.
Computer Specs
Member with 5 posts.

05-Jul-2012, 11:17 AM #7
Thanks for your replies.

I apologise for mistakenly including the words Vista when it is actually Windows 7 (the two are so visually similar I do sometimes get mistaken).

I posted here because both Skype and Office XP were running perfectly on the user's previous computer, but not on this one - whether connecting to her home internet or my own.

With regards to removing and re-installing, I had ALREADY mentioned in my post that the software problem persisted after doing a factory reset so clearly this had already been done.

With regards to activating by phone, I also had ALREADY mentioned in my post that no phone number was given in the activation wizard for activating my phone, as I would have been quite happy to do that.

I'm pleased there is a link in both forums to my request for help. As is often the case with software problems, it is hard to know where the problem lies. But I had indicated in my post all the troubleshooting I had already done - to no avail.

Someone suggested the firewall may be blocking it, which could explain it. But I've used and supported Skype myself on hundreds of PCs on many versions of Windows (98 through toi 7) and never had the Windows firewall block Skype, the only firewall present after the factory reset (I can imagine McAfee's firewall could block it because it's a piece of software I've had problems with in the past).

I would appreciate any further support you can give me, because otherwise she will take it back to Dell and wait for them to investigate the problem, and I've no idea how long that will take !

Regards,
Julia
Computer Specs

05-Jul-2012, 11:25 AM #8
Since you said it has a previous version of Skype I assumed that it was pre-installed--part of the Recovery to factory defaults. I still suggest to download and install the current version.

What security suite was pre-installed? You have uninstalled it, and run the Removal Tool if it was Norton or McAfee?
Computer Specs
Member with 5 posts.

05-Jul-2012, 11:34 AM #9
When I first arrived it was 5.2 which had been installed (probably as an upgrade from their website) which refused to sign on.

Because of lots of weird problems, including the Skype and Office XP problems, I decided to do a factory reset, which installed Skype 4.2, a version which I have used successfully a lot.

The pre-installed security software was McAfee Security Centre. I removed it using the built-in uninstaller .... but I haven't tried running the McAfee removal tool, which I think is a great idea to ensure the firewall isn't still affecting the PC.

I'll let you know when I have run the Uninstaller to see if the problems miraculously go away ...

Regards,
Julia
Computer Specs

05-Jul-2012, 12:19 PM #10
I don't think that you need the link, but here is the McAfee removal tool.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
activation, dell, laptop, office, skype

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!