Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

IE 9 completely unusable

(!)

Member with 33 posts.

12-Jul-2012, 10:06 AM #1
IE 9 completely unusable
Basically i have been having a serious problem with internet explorer 9 every website i go onto will freeze i will have to recover it numerous times until its working again, i thought it may be a flash problem cause i couldn't play you tube videos page kept crashing, and websites that have a flashed based ad on them where crashing but iv uninstalled flash player and reinstalled, it's the most up to date, i have disabled the hardware accerleration option as thats been mentioned on other boards but the problem still exists, i had to recover this webpage twice to get it working. i have ran malwarebytes and superanti spyware, aswell as windows defender, malware bytes and SAS both picked up trojans which have been removed and subsequent scans have reveiled nothing else, so i am at a loss as to what may be causing this problem, its the same problem on chrome aswell, sometimes a video will play then the next one wont.
hopefully someone can help me cause its really frustrating
Thanks in advance
Member with 54 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
12-Jul-2012, 11:24 AM #2
Your flash player has a cache file, i can't remember how to get to it but that may fix your problem. Also before trying that, try just clearing your cache in the browser.
Member with 33 posts.

12-Jul-2012, 11:29 AM #3
i have carried all that out, seems when i clear the flash cache files it makes it worse, it only really started after the last update to flash player
Member with 54 posts.

12-Jul-2012, 11:36 AM #4
Hmmm... Since you have already deleted and reinstalled it, I would say the only option you have is to try a restore to an earlier point.
Member with 33 posts.

12-Jul-2012, 11:39 AM #5
thought of that myself only thing is the last restore point for the comp was awhile ago and i cant really afford to lose work and stuff thats on the computer at the moment
Member with 54 posts.

12-Jul-2012, 11:42 AM #6
Well I would try to delete the browser and the flash player
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

12-Jul-2012, 11:46 AM #7
You cannot "delete" or uninstall Internet Explorer. If you try, you'll end up with a mess.

Chrome has its own version of Flash and doesn't use anything you've downloaded and installed. If you're having exactly the same problems with Flash videos in both Chrome and Internet Explorer, there's a larger Windows problem at play.
Member with 33 posts.

12-Jul-2012, 11:47 AM #8
im thinking some sort of virus but multiple scans show nothing other than what was picked up the first time

12-Jul-2012, 11:50 AM #9
If any scan detected malware and attempted to fix it, that could certainly explain the problem. I recommend a full reinstall of Windows to guarantee a clean system. Others are fine with taking their turn in the Malware forum here.
Member with 33 posts.

12-Jul-2012, 12:07 PM #10
i may have a break through, i went to adobe and they have a walkthrough and a uninstall program for completely uninstalling adobe flash and all associated files, so iv carried this out and reinstalled and things seem to be working so far, but if the problem persist i shall be back

12-Jul-2012, 12:55 PM #11
That reinstall doesn't affect Chrome.
Member with 33 posts.

12-Jul-2012, 12:57 PM #12
i dont really use chrome that often so doesnt really matter, dnt no y i have it tbh
Member with 54 posts.

12-Jul-2012, 01:43 PM #13
How would he/she end up in a mess deleting IE, I've done it on several occassions

12-Jul-2012, 01:51 PM #14
Internet Explorer cannot be "deleted" or uninstalled. It is part of Windows. If you delete system files, you will have problems. The "uninstall" process simply rolls it back to a previous version assuming one was installed and the process can be completed. It becomes far more complicated if a service pack has been applied. It's just generally not a good idea to uninstall Windows components, applications, and updates unless absolutely necessary. It's not the same as uninstalling 3rd party programs like Chrome or Firefox.

As I said previously, Chrome has its own version of Flash installed. This is not updated with an uninstall/reinstall/update of Flash from Adobe's website. If you experienced exactly the same problem with both Internet Explorer and Chrome, the Flash install was not the issue. Perhaps we simply have a misunderstanding of the issue and the steps taken to troubleshoot it.

It's always a good idea to have multiple web browsers installed for troubleshooting purposes. It helps narrow down where issues lie. There's nothing wrong with having it installed. It doesn't interfere with Internet Explorer or anything else.
Member with 33 posts.

12-Jul-2012, 01:55 PM #15
since the reinstall i have been watching numerous you tube clips and loading websites that where giving me problems but so far no hiccups, the problem wasnt so bad on chrome to start with normally just reloading the page fixed it but with IE i had to constantly reload and close down the pages to get it working
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!