Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Outlook Express Help

(!)

Member with 13 posts.

20-Jul-2012, 09:12 PM #1
Solved: Outlook Express Help
I'm in the process of converting my xp network to a win7 network and have a very complicated outlook express folder setup on one of the machines. Huge folders, some with three thousand emails. So here is my question. Since OE isn't available on Win 7, should I convert to Windows Live or OUtlook 2010. I tried importing the oe on its machine to Outlook 2003 and the folders imported, but the dates on half of the emails changed to the current date which is a real problem. Don't know why this happened. I read somewhere that it's best to convert to windows live mail first and then import into Outlook 2010 but would like some sage advice on this before I screw everything up. I know where the outlook files are stored, address book, etc. so what I need to know is what works best. Anyone out there who could help me? Thanks

Wiry
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

21-Jul-2012, 12:33 AM #2
I went through this dance a few years ago trying to convert e-mail messages from one program to another. Then I switched to Gmail which works with every computer and every browser.
Member with 13 posts.

21-Jul-2012, 08:17 AM #3
I really need to store this email on the computer itself as the folders are confidential and extensive. Any help for the original question?
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 4,978 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Jul-2012, 09:35 AM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiry View Post
I really need to store this email on the computer itself as the folders are confidential and extensive. Any help for the original question?
Do you need to have the mail in the client (WLM or Outlook) on Win 7 or do you just need access to the information?
If only access, you could bring a copy of the OE Message Store onto the Win 7 machine and use a DBX reader http://www.snapfiles.com/get/dbxviewer.html to access the mail in the DBX files.
The advantage to that is it won't load up the client on Win 7 and also gives you the option of saving as EML files any mail you need to have the full functions of the client (Reply, Forward, etc.).

For your OE contacts, Export them to a format that can be Imported to the new client (either a WAB or CSV file).
Member with 13 posts.

21-Jul-2012, 10:24 AM #5
What you say is terrific. It sounds like the solution. Keeps the email from getting too cluttered.

By a store file, do you mean the File that has all the oe folders? I have made a copy of that, and also I have the wab file for the address book.

We are thinking of using Outlook 10 for the email, but I have a problem with importing the address book. We already have contacts in Outlook, and when I imported them from OE, everything got mixed up together and nothing comes up readily when you create a new email. Instead, you have to go to address book and select it. Do you know an easy setting for this, or would it be better to import the wab file into Windows live mail and leave outlook 10 alone. THanks so much for you help.
Computer Specs

21-Jul-2012, 10:53 AM #6
The Message Store is the folder that contains all the DBX files used by OE.
You can find it's location via Tools>Options>Maintenance tab>Store folder button.
To make life simpler on the Win 7 machine, associate DBX files with the Viewer so they will open with a double click instead of having to open the viewer and loading the file.

I'm not sure on the contacts in Outlook (I have very minimal experience with it).
I'll see what I can find or someone that knows more may post with a solution.
Computer Specs

21-Jul-2012, 11:01 AM #7
See if this site is any help.
http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/migratefromoewlm.htm

From a quick look through, it seems that Exporting and Importing as a CSV may work for you.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

21-Jul-2012, 11:58 AM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiry View Post
So you're using PGP encryption for your e-mail? You realize that if you don't, your "confidential" e-mail is readable by anyone with access to any of the servers it passes through on its way to your computer. You also need to have your hard drive encrypted to prevent anyone else from ever accessing it should the computer be lost or stolen.

People mistakenly think their computers are the best, most secure place for their data, and they completely miss the path that data travels and don't take an honest, hard look at the security of their computers.
Member with 13 posts.

21-Jul-2012, 02:32 PM #9
Thanks for all your help. I gave up on Outlook 2010 and went with Windows Mail. All is well, all folders showing. I downloaded the dbx reader just to make sure it's always on hand. Aside from duplicating some entries everything went smoothly. Thanks again. Wiry
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!