Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

CAPTCHA or Word Verification Not Showing on any Site Using Any Browser

(!)

Caveman01 has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 18 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Jul-2012, 03:15 PM #1
Angry CAPTCHA or Word Verification Not Showing on any Site Using Any Browser
I am using Windows XP Home Edition. This problem just started in the past 2 days. No matter what site I go to that requires the verification code shown in the CAPTCHA to be typed before submitting, it does not appear. Sometimes it says that your browser may not be set to allow images but photos show fine on any website, so that is not the problem. Sometimes there is a little square where the CAPTCHA should be but on other sites there is a red x in a square instead. Java is updated, so that is not the problem either. This happens on any website asking for verification with a CAPTCHA and on any browser. Please remember that I am a basic computer user and don't know where some things are that I see mentioned on this website.
Member with 5,654 posts.

27-Jul-2012, 04:30 PM #2
Check your Java and JavaScript status by going here with each browser in turn;http://www.javatester.org/ Click on the box at top centre of the page and see which Java version you have (it should be 1.7.0_05).

Then click on the orange 'Java enabled?' box on the left hand side to see if Java is actually enabled. Finally, click on the 'JavaScript' box (same name, different software) to see if JS is also working.
Computer Specs
Member with 18 posts.

27-Jul-2012, 06:46 PM #3
I tried all of that but nothing changed. Everything shows that Java and JavaScript are working. As I said in the post, that was updated. I ran the test earlier. The problem still exists. I don't know what changed in the past day or two but I can't correct this problem.
Phantom010 has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 32,318 posts.

Experience: Advanced
27-Jul-2012, 07:37 PM #4
What's your antivirus?
Computer Specs
Member with 18 posts.

27-Jul-2012, 08:30 PM #5
I use AVG 2012 but that would not cause this problem. It is probably something simple that needs to be changed or restored.
Computer Specs

27-Jul-2012, 09:45 PM #6
Since you've tried more than one browser and the issue persists, I don't believe it's a browser problem.

It has to be something more system-wide, like an antivirus or firewall. Or, maybe even your router?
Computer Specs
Member with 18 posts.

27-Jul-2012, 10:07 PM #7
I have no idea but if you have someone else to ask then please do. I can't accomplish many things when the CAPTCHA won't show on websites. You can't even submit a website to Bing if the CAPTCHA does not show.
Computer Specs

27-Jul-2012, 10:26 PM #8
Are you using ad blockers like Adblock Plus?
Computer Specs
Member with 18 posts.

27-Jul-2012, 11:14 PM #9
No. The basic ad blocker is turned off anyway. So, that is not the problem either.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,560 posts.

28-Jul-2012, 11:36 AM #10
Quote:
I use AVG 2012 but that would not cause this problem.
You are greatly underestimating the powers of AVG.

While I cannot say that AVG is or is not causing the problem, if I had this issue I would uninstall AVG and run the AVG Remover. After testing AVG could be reinstalled.
Computer Specs
Member with 18 posts.

29-Jul-2012, 01:47 PM #11
I did this and nothing changed. I knew it was not the anti-virus. If this was not XP then I would do a system restore. In XP you will lose anything downloaded or stored after the restore date if not backed up. I put too much on here to risk that. Though, I don't think a restore would change anything. Something needs to be reset or replaced.
Member with 5,654 posts.

29-Jul-2012, 02:03 PM #12
Did you do the JavaScript test at javatester.org? The status of your Oracle Java version has no connection to JavaScript, which is completely different software that is included with your browser, not a separately installed program like Oracle Java.

When I run the test with my copy of Firefox 14.0.1, I get this;

"Test Results
JavaScript IS WORKING in your web browser
Your web browser supports JavaScript version 1.8
Your web browser is Firefox version 14.0.1 "
Computer Specs
Member with 18 posts.

29-Jul-2012, 03:43 PM #13
This was mentioned earlier and I already did the test. That is not the problem. I have no idea what to do at this point and I have no income to pay a computer guy to fix this.
Member with 5,654 posts.

29-Jul-2012, 05:06 PM #14
If JavaScript is working in all your browsers and if your Oracle Java is up to date (assuming that's relevant to your situation), the inference is that, as has already been suggested, you have some other application that is preventing JS from working.

An obvious example would be the NoScript addon in Firefox, but I assume you would know if that was involved. However, if you have installed or upgraded any other software recently, it is possible that the install or upgrade came with 'extras' that could have included a toolbar or something similar which acts like an adblocker and prevents JS from running.

If you haven't made any changes recently (and no programs automatically updated themselves about two days ago), I have no idea what else could be causing your problem.
Computer Specs
Member with 18 posts.

29-Jul-2012, 06:11 PM #15
I don't know what updates have been done since they automatically load. I don't know if the NoScript addon in Firefox has anything to do with this. How would I know ? I don't see it in the addons manager list. I would disable it if I knew where it was and if it might be the problem.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
captcha not showing, verification not showing

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!