Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Spam cop

(!)

Member with 117 posts.

28-Jul-2012, 09:51 PM #1
Spam cop
I have Roadrunner, with Windows 7, Outlook 2007. I have had no problems sending emails until 2 days ago. I have one person using gwi for their email. My mail was not being sent, and I was getting a spam cop message. I had no idea what this was, but since this was only person I was getting this email bounced back, I ignored it for a day. Then I started checking and still don't understand what I am reading online, or what spam cop is. I have 2 email accounts with Roadrunner on same computer. We have a 3rd roadrunner account on different computer. Only 1 email is used to email this person, yet all of our email accounts seem to be blocked from her. Other people in her state, and from mine that use roadrunner, their mail is getting through, so it's not like all roadrunner mail is being blocked. I chatted for 1 hour with my ISP, and they went over my whole computer, email, everything. I scan daily and have no virus's anything. Plus, I can't email this person from any computer or IPad with any of our 3 roadrunner addresses. It's our roadrunner accounts only, it seems. Like I said, 2 of the addresses have never been used to email her, so unsure why they could be blocked. Someone that lives near me with roadrunner, can email this person. I have no idea if spam cop is her spam guard, or some 3rd party spam catcher. It's very frustrating, since we don't live near each other, and she has hard time trying to deal with anyone regarding this problem. I can email others with roadrunner. I tried emailing from webmail, but that gets bounced back by spam cop, too. This is very perplexing since it involves several email addresses and computers, and none can get through to her using roadrunner. I can get through to her via Gmail, which is not my regular account. Help please.

Jane
Computer Specs
Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Beginner
02-Aug-2012, 05:14 PM #2
Hi, Jane,
...If I understand correctly, your e-mail is not getting through to one of your contacts. As I understand it, SpamCop does not normally send messages to people whose e-mail is being rejected, so I am assuming you are receiving the rejection notice from gwi saying that your e-mail was not delivered because the outgoing Road Runner e-mail IP address your e-mail went through was listed in the SpamCop blacklist. So it seems that gwi is either using the SpamCop blacklist to decide what e-mail to block (contrary to SpamCop's own suggestion, by the way) or blocking for some other reason but "blaming" the SpamCop blacklist. Sometimes, it seems that providers who use the SpamCop blacklist do not refresh the blacklist content very frequently (the blacklist content is VERY dynamic) and an outgoing e-mail server that may be listed for only a short period may persist in being blocked after it is no longer sending spam and therefore has been removed from the blacklist.
...Your options are limited. If you otherwise like Road Runner e-mail service, you may choose to complain to Road Runner. Be aware, though, that (assuming my above supposition is correct) gwi may not be accurately reflecting the reason for their blocking of your e-mail. If after a decent interval Road Runner does not show any indication that they are addressing the problem (there seem to be a lot of RR machines on various blacklists -- see http://www.senderbase.org/senderbase...75.180.132.120) or you do not wish to bother pursuing it with RR, you may wish to consider switching to a different e-mail provider as your main e-mail account. Since you already have a GMail account, you could make that your main account. Another possibility, if gwi has the capability, is to ask your gwi contact to "whitelist" your RR address and see if you can then get mail through.
...Good luck!

Last edited by SteveTu; 02-Aug-2012 at 05:16 PM.. Reason: fix paragraph indentation and correct salutation
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!