Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Ways to Improve Speed, Performance

(!)

Member with 12 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
01-Aug-2012, 01:43 AM #1
Ways to Improve Speed, Performance
A few tech-related questions;

-My laptop runs slowly, lags, and overheats for online games, even simple ones. One thing I notice is the rather high CPU usage and CPU memory usage. Right after start-up, with no browser window open, and almost all start-up programs shut off, there is still about 1.0 GB of memory used, which is 30% of the total. That number rises to about 60% and 1.8 GB with some windows in Chrome open. Is this unusual?

-Any simple changes I can make to increase performance and memory usage?

-For a fairly weak and old processor (Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU, T4200 @2.00 GHz), is my 64-bit OS a bad idea? If so, how does one switch it to 32-bit?

-Would upgrading from Vista Home Basic to Windows 7 make sense? And if so, is there a deal better than Amazon's $87 price tag?

Thanks a bunch in advance.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,489 posts.

01-Aug-2012, 04:17 PM #2
Quote:
-Would upgrading from Vista Home Basic to Windows 7 make sense?
Depends on whether the cost is worth it to you. After I used Windows 7 Release Candidate dual booted with Vista Home Premium for a month I was convinced that Windows 7 Home Premium was worth the $49 to pre-order the Windows 7 update.

Windows 7 manages memory better than Vista does, but you implied that you have ~3 GB RAM, which should be no problem with Vista for general use.

Quote:
is there a deal better than Amazon's $87 price tag?
Not likely. And if there is the difference is probably not much.

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
games, laptop, performance, speed, vista

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!