Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Strangest browser issue I have seen, stumped nonprofit IT guy

(!)

Member with 10 posts.

03-Aug-2012, 01:28 AM #1
Strangest browser issue I have seen, stumped nonprofit IT guy
Machine: Windows 7 64bit Lenovo E420 laptop:
- Windows and lenovo updates are current.
- Computer clean according to - Malwarebytes - Security Essentials - Super Anti-Spyware - Hitman - Comodo Internet Security
- No proxy being used in Internet Options

Issue: Chrome browser will not display certain webpages (podio.com for an example, I can't remember others I have found). Other Chrome browsers on the network display podio.com fine. Other browsers on the Lenovo laptop in question display podio.com fine. Chrome has been reinstalled with no extensions, cache, or any other data in place or sync'd. Chrome WILL display the source of podio.com (view page source) and podio.com appears to load fine, but nothing displays in the browser window. Most websites work fine in Chrome on this lenovo laptop. Chrome portable on a USB drive displays the SAME behavior when attached to this laptop but normal behavior when attached to a different laptop.

Thoughts? I'm at a loss with why certain web pages are not displaying. Flash, java, etc. all seem to display fine and are up to date.
Computer Specs
Member with 121 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
03-Aug-2012, 02:48 AM #2
Have you tried to put the full address into the address bar <www.podio.com> or just been putting <podio.com> in. I have run into this problem myself and it seems to prefer the www in the address for some reason. Other than that I wouldn't know what to do as my primary browser is Aurora(Firefox) but I use Chrome when Aurora is loading to slowly. Hope this helps.
Computer Specs
Member with 718 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
03-Aug-2012, 03:49 AM #3
I have had some random issues with Chrome lately.

I uninstalled (saying NO when asked if want to remove user preferences / similar)

Re-installed and everything fine now.
Member with 10 posts.

03-Aug-2012, 04:12 AM #4
Thanks both of you. www.podio.com doesn't solve the problem. And Chrome has been reinstalled an uninstalled a few different ways (revo, windows removal, manual removal) with no improvements. Thanks for suggestions so far
Phantom010 has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 32,248 posts.

Experience: Advanced
03-Aug-2012, 11:14 AM #5
Please go HERE. Copy the text in RED and the UA Warning in yellow (if any) as well, then paste it into your next reply.
Member with 10 posts.

03-Aug-2012, 12:21 PM #6
Didn't know about this tool. Thanks

Result: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/21.0.1180.60 Safari/537.1
Member with 10 posts.

03-Aug-2012, 12:28 PM #7
Other oddities occasionally arise. For example, right now this page: forums.androidcentral.com is loading and (unlike podio.com) it is visible. However, I can't scroll down to see the rest of the page! Just the portions of forums.androidcentral.com visible in the browser window when the page loads are viewable. Yesterday, I was able to browse forums.androidcentral.com with no problem.
Forums.androidcentral.com is still open in a tab now, and if I click on it to switch from this tab all I see is this techguy.com page with the forums.androidcentral.com tab highlighted. I can no longer see the content of forums.androidcentral.com unless i close the tab reload it.
Computer Specs

03-Aug-2012, 12:31 PM #8
Did you go to that site using an Android phone? Your User Agent String sure looks like it.

Last edited by Phantom010; 03-Aug-2012 at 12:38 PM..
Member with 10 posts.

03-Aug-2012, 01:05 PM #9
Tried multiple browser user agents and confirmed they were in place with the fiddler UA tool. None of the user agents change the issue except if I choose a mobile device user agent in which case chrome displays the mobile website for podio.com correctly with everything visible. When I revert to desktop browser user agents after that, the problem still persists.

I have gone to that site before using an android phone via 3g and my home network. How would that impact my laptop's user agent? Thanks for all the help, I'm still trying to troubleshoot it.
Member with 10 posts.

03-Aug-2012, 01:12 PM #10
Just tried to load espn.go.com, and it is only displaying part of the webpage. Then I opened a new tab and went to espn.com.uk and it is exhibiting the behavior of podio.com. I then opened a new tab and went to news.google.com and it works normally (all displaying and scrolling). Incredibly odd. I'm trying to a) avoid reinstalling windows and b) learn from this because it seems so strange.

As far as I can see, full page source for espn.co.uk is showing up in chrome (and podio.com and everythign else)...just not displaying at all in certain sites.
Member with 10 posts.

03-Aug-2012, 01:19 PM #11
Hmm, perhaps problem is solved (though I don't know why it occurs). I was running emerge as my shell (http://www.emergedesktop.org - instead of windows explorer) and I decided to restart into the windows shell. A the moment, chrome booted up in windows shell with podio.com, etc. all showing.

So....I'll keep working to make sure it doesn't revert to the old behavior and report back here. Anyone know how I can troubleshoot why the shell might have been causing issues (maybe emerge is cache-ing websites in some browser specific way and ignoring user agents...doesn't even sound possible to me...hmmm.)? I'll report back. Any other thoughts appreciated.
Computer Specs

03-Aug-2012, 01:43 PM #12
After reverting to Windows Explorer, have you tried http://www.fiddlertool.com/ua.aspx? Is the User Agent String different?
Member with 10 posts.

03-Aug-2012, 01:52 PM #13
Good question. Thanks. User agent is the same. Do you see anything wrong with that user agent for current Chrome for windows 7 64bit?

Rebooting into emerge shell recreates the problem. So odd. I'll check their support forums. So far so good with windows shell, for whatever reason.
Computer Specs

03-Aug-2012, 02:13 PM #14
Actually, I believe your UAS is normal for Chrome. I was referring to Android 'cause my Android phone shows a similar UAS. I just realized that's what it should be for Chrome, since Android is Google...
Member with 10 posts.

03-Aug-2012, 02:20 PM #15
No problem. Thanks for trying to help. There is definitely something weird happening with emerge and Chrome (and I guess something else ...maybe something I have is stealing the focus from certain chrome tabs and frames...how weird.) Damn, I like emerge desktop shell
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!