Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Web Pages Won't Load / Stop Loading

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 102 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
04-Aug-2012, 08:36 PM #1
Question Solved: Web Pages Won't Load / Stop Loading
Suddenly today I'm having a problem loading web pages. All was normal yesterday. When opening my default FireFox browser to my home page or loading a bookmarked page, the browser hangs and will not load the page. Either the page takes an extended time to load, or it will not load at all unless I click the "stop" and "refresh" buttons in the address window. This problem is especially evident when trying to load a page with graphics.

For instance, when trying to load various pages from "Wikimedia Commons", the text for any particular page appears but thumbnails will not. Some websites load almost normally, and some will load only partially or not at all, and only after having to click the "stop" and "refresh" buttons.

Once a web page is finally loaded, the animation on the page tab continues to display the "loading" icon, (a spinning circle). Only by clicking the "stop" button does it finish.

This behavior is also evident while using the Google Chrome browser I also have installed, so this is happening in more than one browser.

My default Browser in FireFox 14.0, and my OS is Win Vista Home Premium SP2. I have multiple add on's for FireFox, among them Abine's Do Not Track Plus 2.2.1. All windows updates are current. I connect to cable internet through ethernet.

Any ideas as to what's going on? Any settings I can check or adjust, possible problem with ISP? Network settings? Test I can run?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by Roadie; 04-Aug-2012 at 10:08 PM..
Computer Specs
Moderator with 63,993 posts.

05-Aug-2012, 12:14 PM #2
If you can test with another computer on the same network how does it work?

If you have separate modem and router how does the computer work with a connection directly to the modem?
Computer Specs
Member with 102 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
05-Aug-2012, 08:29 PM #3
Smile Solved
Problem solved.

ISP made an upgrade to the system last week. There was a notice on their website stating that I needed to reset modem and router. I didn't notice the notice until a few minutes ago. Since I use ethernet didn't occur to me to unplug replug router, but the ethernet cable from this computer goes into the router first, then to the modem. I had already reset the modem, wasn't paying attention to the wiring. Tried that and problem solved. Thanks for your help!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 63,993 posts.

05-Aug-2012, 08:35 PM #4
You're welcome, and thanks for posting the solution.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!