Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: New Thunderbird with Multiple Accounts

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 87 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
05-Aug-2012, 08:22 PM #1
Solved: New Thunderbird with Multiple Accounts
I am making the transfer from Outlook to Thunderbird. Having a learning curve issue, but I'm making progress.

I have six email accounts coming into Thunderbird. Right now, there are three accounts that I can access and use in Thunderbird, the other three aren't "there". The folders are there, but they are continuously (past 4-5 hours) showing a downloading icon when I click on the Inbox folder.

It was working earlier today but I didn't like the way I had folders set up. I was intending to switch from mail folders to virtual folders. I THINK the problem is because I made a change in the account settings. On the Synchronization & Storage tab, I clicked on the Advanced tab and unchecked all of the Download checks next to folders.

I have since gone back in and re-checked them. I have closed and re-opened TBird and Firefox. I've Googled and searched and I'm frustrated, so hoping someone here will have a suggestion that will help.

Thanks!
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,037 posts.

08-Aug-2012, 09:53 AM #2
Are all the accounts IMAP? I ask because TB has a history of not dealing real well with mixed account types, especially when unifying and syncing them into Smart folders.
You might want to consider just removing the accounts and redoing them.
Computer Specs
Member with 87 posts.

08-Aug-2012, 10:14 AM #3
They are all IMAP. I finally realized that all was fine on another machine, so I have changed all the settings to match the ones on the machine that is working (duh).

I was also thinking of starting over. Not only for this, but because I don't like the order that the accounts are listed in and I can't figure out any way to re-sort them.

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to mark this one solved, but I'll come back if I'm still having issues.

Thanks again,
Pat
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,037 posts.

12-Aug-2012, 09:16 AM #4
Hi Pat,

I ran across this extension and thought it might be just the thing for sorting your accounts and folders.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thu...-sort-folders/
Computer Specs
Member with 56,135 posts.

12-Aug-2012, 07:01 PM #5
Also just found this today that is the best manual I have seen.

http://en.flossmanuals.net/thunderbird/

Others are here.
http://www.flossmanuals.net/

You can also down the manual from the top left.

All easy to understand with all the added junk to filter thru to find what you need like at "Mozilla Help"
Computer Specs
Member with 87 posts.

12-Aug-2012, 07:20 PM #6
Throoper, thanks! That extension sounds perfect!

And Hewee, en.Flossmanuals.net has saved my sanity. After a lot of searching and looking at other forums/sites, Floss was the most straightforward for me. Especially as a primer. Really helped with that initial learning curve. I read the whole thing and it helped me understand a lot of basics. After getting those down, it's a little easier for me to know where I want to tweak and how to poke.

Thanks to both of you for great suggestions!
Computer Specs
Member with 56,135 posts.

13-Aug-2012, 01:28 PM #7
You're welcome Pat.

I got to say knowing a lot more I also love manuals at that site.

Another add-on you may like is Extra Folder Columns
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
folders, synchronization, thunderbird, virtual

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!