Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Need to set up Dropbox for classroom use

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 1,380 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
07-Aug-2012, 01:39 PM #1
Need to set up Dropbox for classroom use
(I had a similar post which touched on this, but I want the focus to be entirely on this, as it's very important that I set this up right.)

I have a class of 33 5th graders starting late August. Here's the setup I want:

Note: All kids will have an email and Dropbox account of their own; they'll establish these at home. At school we have 4 ipads plus 12-13 netbooks, and all will have Dropbox installed. The kids will use these daily, but they are NOT assigned to individual students; that is, Chloe might use an ipad one day, a netbook the next, and another different netbook the next.

The kids will use these throughout the day for various purposes: reports, searches, documents, create powerpoints and videos, etc, etc. The most important thing is that their work can be accessed easily both at home and school. So, they work on a powerpoint at school, save it to their DB folder, then at home they open it up and continue working. And while they're home, maybe they find some images or video clips they want to use for this or that project, so they dump those in their DB folder and use them at school. THAT is what we need to do. I've been told that DB is ideal for that.

So here's my understanding of how it will work (please tell me where/if my thinking is off.)

* At home on my computer I have Dropbox set up with a "resources" folder into which I will place documents, videos, links, etc, that the kids can access as needed. This will be public; available to anyone.

* On home computer under DB I will have the "resources" folder plus 33 individual folders ("Chloe, Rudy, Fred," etc.) I will set them to be shared with me and their parents ONLY, so that no other kids can access their folder. So for me at home, what I see is 34 folders.

Here's where I don't have a complete vision and am not sure what to do: (and I can't really test this at school for awhile, so I need to ask)

* When someone clicks on the DB account on a school ipad or netbook, will they see the 34 folders? And if so, how do they have access only to their own folder, and not to others'?

Or, will they need to log in to their own DB account? And would they then need to log out afterwards? Seems to me that is the situation: they click on DB, log in, do their work, log out, done. Next person does the same.

fwiw: I've already experimented by setting up a DB account on my home computer, a laptop, and an ipad. I created the "resources" folder and dumped lots of things in it, and saw that all of this is almost instantly available on the other devices. So I'm excited it will work fine once I fully understand it and get it set up right.

Anyone knowledgable about DB, I would very much appreciate any guidance. I am happy to go ahead and create the 33 folders, etc, but I want to make sure I'm doing it right.

Thanks!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!