Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Thunderbird Calendar Password Retention

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 82 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
12-Aug-2012, 09:43 PM #1
Thunderbird Calendar Password Retention
I'm posting in this forum hoping I'm in the right place.

I've recently (last day or two) been repeatedly asked by Thunderbird to provide my password to access my Gmail calendars. I'm not aware of having changed anything so I'm a little puzzled. I enter the password, the request pops up again, I re-enter the password, it pops up again, etc. It won't retain it.

I don't know how to tell you what version I'm using. Help>About says I'm using Thunderbird 14. This puzzles me a little too because I see so many posts referring to Thunderbird 3. Have there been that many releases or am I missing something?

So, two questions: Any suggestions on the password issue? And is Thunderbird 14 really the version I'm using?

BTW, this machine is Vista. But I'm having the same issue on Win7.

Thanks!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,605 posts.

13-Aug-2012, 05:38 AM #2
Quote:
BTW, this machine is Vista. But I'm having the same issue on Win7.
same problem on two different machines

I would check the account settings - for password type - under server settings
are you using imap or pop to connect to gmail

latest version of thunderbird and updates - show as 14 (at least on my PC they are)
Computer Specs
Member with 82 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Aug-2012, 06:12 PM #3
I'm using IMAP. (sorry, always forget to mention that)

I checked my settings and it is set to Connection security: SSL/TLS; Authentication method: Normal password.

The pop-up I'm getting says: "Authentication Required: A username and password are being requested by https://www.google.com. The site says: "Google CalDAV"." Fields are there for User Name and Password, which I enter. There is a box below that saying "Use Password Manager to remember this password." I've tried checking that box and leaving it unchecked. Doesn't seem to matter.

Wondering if I should abandon my attempts to use Lightning? This from Google Calendar Help:

Quote:
System requirements
  • Apple iCal 3.x and up (on Mac OS X v10.5+), Mozilla Sunbird 0.8+ and Lightning in Thunderbird support CalDAV sync. Please note that CalDAV sync is considered an experimental feature with limited technical assistance available.
Using other CalDAV-supported calendar applications
  • While other calendar applications support CalDAV, Google Calendar only supports CalDAV using Apple iCal or Mozilla Sunbird.
I've read that Sunbird has been abandoned, so any thoughts on if I should pursue this?
Member with 13 posts.

15-Aug-2012, 09:23 PM #4
This is happening to all users in my organization as well, Mac and Win platforms. As far as I can tell, it just happens with Thunderbird v14 and Lightning v1.6.

The problem seems to be that Tbird is not remembering CalDAV passwords. I can't tell whether this is a Tbird problem or a Lightning problem, though.

I can't stand Mozilla's half-assed rapid-release schedule. It's like we're guinea pigs for their crappy beta software.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
calendar, lightning, passwords, thunderbird

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!