Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: From Outlook.com back to Hotmail

(!)

Member with 55 posts.

Experience: Beginner-medium
15-Aug-2012, 07:48 PM #1
Solved: From Outlook.com back to Hotmail
How do I get my Hotmail email account back? I was asked to TRY Outlook.com, and I did and I don't like it. Now, I need instructions how to get my Hotmail account back without losing my email address. I feel my hotmail account was hijacked by outlook.com. Please help.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,379 posts.

15-Aug-2012, 08:04 PM #2
Moved your thread, as it seems to have nothing to do with Windows 7.

Are you saying that "trying" Outlook.com doesn't give you a new account but instead renames your account from @hotmail.com to @outlook.com? (Should be obvious from my question that I haven't tried it.)

15-Aug-2012, 08:10 PM #3
Quick Google search seems to come up with the answer.
Member with 55 posts.

15-Aug-2012, 08:21 PM #4
Thanks for your reply.

Week or so ago, a message came to me asking if I wanted to "try" Outlook.com. I indicated yes. So what I didn't realize was that every time I sign in to my hotmail email, I'm taken to Outlook.com. That's where all my hotmail email, sent messages, inbox, etc. is located. And the only way to get away from Outlook.com (that I can see from Microsoft) is to remove my hotmail address. It seems to me so stupid that microsoft didn't make any easy way to get out of Outlook.com. Didn't think Microsoft would make something like this so difficult. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something. Thanks again for replying.
Computer Specs

15-Aug-2012, 08:39 PM #5
And this is when you sign is as ...@hotmail.com, right?

I'm guessing (that's guessing) that you used your hotmail account to sign in to outlook.com and either directed your hotmail to be forwarded to outlook.com or else that was done automatically for you. If that is what happened check the Help page or the user forum to see how to unforward.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

15-Aug-2012, 10:09 PM #6
It's working as designed. Hotmail is going away and will be replaced by Outlook.com. You should be seeing a simple redirection. You need to start notifying your contacts that your new e-mail address is at Outlook.com instead of Hotmail.com
Computer Specs

16-Aug-2012, 09:31 AM #7
I read that we can still keep our hotmail.com addresses, but cannot get new hotmail accounts.
Member with 55 posts.

19-Aug-2012, 08:24 PM #8
Thank you, TerryNet and DoubleHelix, for responding to my question re hotmail/outlook.com. I hate outlook.com!! Pictures were greyed out the last time I forwarded email from outlook. That didn't happen to me with hotmail. I use my hotmail address to get into outlook.com. When I sign in to hotmail with password, I'm immediately taken to outlook.com. It's as if my hotmail account has been hijacked by outlook because I don't see a way to get the hotmail "program software"? back. When I agreed to "try" outlook, I thought there'd be an easy way to get out of it. I did notice at some point a message that said my hotmail had been "upgraded" to outlook.

Didn't realize hotmail was being replaced with outlook. I just need a simple email service. I've been with hotmail for many years and pay $20 a year for extra storage.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,407 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
19-Aug-2012, 08:51 PM #9
I suspect Outlook.com will improve and enhance things as time goes by making Outlook.com better than what you are now used to with Hotmail. As DoubleHelix told you, Hotmail is going away and the replacement will be Outlook.com...so you might as well accept what is going to happen...
Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Aug-2012, 04:00 AM #10
Hi Sweetwater,

Apparently, no one has understood what the issue was here!

It is very easy to switch back to hotmail once you've tried the outlook version: all you have to do is click on the gear icon near the top right corner and then select "Switch back to hotmail".

Find screenshots here: http://dottech.org/web/75517/how-to-...ck-to-hotmail/

Anne.
Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Advanced
05-Oct-2012, 03:30 PM #11
Simple?
I followed the instructions but still have to login using outlook.com and have @hotmail.com mails under a separate folder not inbox which also means that my phone does not get the hotmail mails.

Any ideas how to rectify this immense balls up from microsoft?

To be honest, I should have followed my own advise to others - wait a year or so for new microsoft software to be tested and "fixed"
Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Advanced
05-Oct-2012, 03:52 PM #12
Solved!!!
1) If you want 'hotmail.com' go to your personal settings and set your country to United States

2) The scary bit. You won't be able to rename to your hotmail.com because it is now listed as an alias. You must delete this alias. It gives you a scary message about removing your inbox. I clenched my teeth and went for it...
https://account.live.com/ManageAssocIds

3) You can then rename your account to your old email account using
http://mail.live.com/?rru=renameaccount

I've been without hotmail for weeks and now it's all up and running again.
Member with 1 posts.

15-Nov-2012, 11:13 PM #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
Thank you, TerryNet and DoubleHelix, for responding to my question re hotmail/outlook.com. I hate outlook.com!! Pictures were greyed out the last time I forwarded email from outlook. That didn't happen to me with hotmail. I use my hotmail address to get into outlook.com. When I sign in to hotmail with password, I'm immediately taken to outlook.com. It's as if my hotmail account has been hijacked by outlook because I don't see a way to get the hotmail "program software"? back. When I agreed to "try" outlook, I thought there'd be an easy way to get out of it. I did notice at some point a message that said my hotmail had been "upgraded" to outlook.

Didn't realize hotmail was being replaced with outlook. I just need a simple email service. I've been with hotmail for many years and pay $20 a year for extra storage.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer.
I feel the same way. I went out of the country. It did not even ask me to try outlook. It just went straight to it. I thought I would get back once in the USA. I am very upset because I lost almost all my contact. I hate you outlook. I want my hotmail back
Member with 1 posts.

21-Nov-2012, 12:12 PM #14
thanks Anne for the simple answer to the problem that has been bothering me for weeks,
outlook is so annoying
Member with 2 posts.

07-Dec-2012, 02:38 PM #15
Question I want Hotmail back Outlook replacement SUCKS
This happened to me as well, and I am saying when it asked it was like it was saying you could TRY IT and now it has taken over all of my folders in Hotmail. I do not like this new Outlook and in fact HATE IT. I want Hotmail back but there is no way I can find to go back. If they would have said that once you clicked yes that Hotmail would be gone forever I definitely Would Not have clicked yes. When you type in Hotmail now in the address bar it goes directly to Outlook with your name@hotmail.com . It was like being hijacked! Can anyone help??? Please
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
hotmail.com, outlook.com

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!