Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Hosting server vs cloud decision

(!)

Member with 1,320 posts.

Experience: Beginner
17-Sep-2012, 07:35 AM #1
Hosting server vs cloud decision
hi guys,

not really sure where to post this...just need some general advice

i have an old dell poweredge server running server 2008 r2 it has 4GB RAM, it was our old office server, but we upgraded and are now using the old server for a project involving water. It is currently set up and has factory software on which takes water readings from various sites around the country using modems...people can then login to the system and monitor their water.

the plan was to build and implement the system and then put it into the cloud. But after speaking to many companies i discovered that cloud hosting is not that cheap...the cheapest i could find was about 450 euro per month.

so im looking at buying a new server and hosting it myself.

the old server is working ok, but it is very taxed...is sluggish and might not last that long
so i want to buy a new server and transfer it onto the new server.

im also looking at getting a 30mb cable connection for the server.
now i know you dont have info on the type of service or software i am using, all i want to know is what type of broadband would be required for a web page with +- 50 people logging in at a time to view statistics from our software.

Would i be wasting my time, or is there another way to do this that might not require virtual hosting?
any info you may have could help

thanks
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

17-Sep-2012, 07:44 AM #2
The cheapest cloud service you could find is 450 euros a month?? What the heck are your requirements?

Why does anything need to be suddenly "hosted" by anyone? If you just have old hardware, replace it. Where is it physically located now that it can't be located there any longer and must be in your home or office?

The description of the problem doesn't make any sense to me.
Member with 1,320 posts.

18-Sep-2012, 03:51 AM #3
Hi DH,

We currently have this server in our office which is a good bit out of town. Not a great internet connection...we thinking about hosting it in my office in town with a 30mb connection...my question is. How much upload does a server require to service say 40 to 50 clients at a time.

The web page the clients are accessing is on this server, along with all our software for monitoring water levels. This is why the hosting servers want to charge us 400 / month to host it online. I would think that hosting companies would have far superior connections to allow access from multiple clients to the server...can it be done on a fast cable internet connection? this is what im wondering...

upgrading the hardware is no problem, in fact im looking at it now...the connection is whats worrying me.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

18-Sep-2012, 07:33 AM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK-her0 View Post
Hi DH,

We currently have this server in our office which is a good bit out of town. Not a great internet connection...we thinking about hosting it in my office in town with a 30mb connection...my question is. How much upload does a server require to service say 40 to 50 clients at a time.
You're saying it's cheaper for you to pay for a business-class connection allowing for this bandwidth and power than having a dedicated hosting company do it? I find that very hard to believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK-her0 View Post
The web page the clients are accessing is on this server, along with all our software for monitoring water levels. This is why the hosting servers want to charge us 400 / month to host it online. I would think that hosting companies would have far superior connections to allow access from multiple clients to the server...can it be done on a fast cable internet connection? this is what im wondering...
I still don't get the WHY here. WHY does it cost 400 a month? For web hosting? Or does that include water monitoring software licensing? This simply doesn't make sense.
Member with 2 posts.

22-Oct-2012, 12:29 PM #5
Hello PK-her0,

Glad to see you on-board. Well 450 Euro per month for a hosting service? Ah, it does not make any sense, I believe. It's way too expensive and what my understanding is that no one could afford this plan. Cloud hosting isn't much expensive, its price varies from your requirements.

Are you looking to get monitoring service? Or just need a hosting plan? Just share what your requirements are and i can possibly recommend you some good and reliable cloud hosting options (including-managed hosting) for your business.

After reading your question and some of the comments in the thread, i have come to know that cloud would an adequate option to consider in your case because paying for a business class connection does not make sense. However, to conquer bulk client loads at once, think about cloud!

Source: http://www.cloudreviews.com/blog/bes...sting-services

Thanks,
Leyon
Member with 1,320 posts.

25-Oct-2012, 07:48 AM #6
thanks for your reply...

we actually secured a premises with a fibre optic connection which is ment to be super fast...so its ok
now i need to look at server specs

thanks again for your reply
i will look into the link for future reference as you never know what might crop up in the future
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!