Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

sent items missing in thunderbird

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 162 posts.

Experience: Beginner-intermediate?
13-Jan-2013, 01:55 PM #1
sent items missing in thunderbird
Hello there,
I use thunderbird version 3.1.4 which I've been happy with for a long time now - however in recent months I've discovered big gaps in my sent items folder - about a 5 week period during sept-oct 2012 where all of my sent emails are missing.

I contacted my hosting service and was advised this is a known thunderbird issue and have done a search but haven't discovered a fix yet. If there is one I would very much appreciate help finding it!

Oh, and while I'm here, why did mozilla sever their association with thunderbird? Has thunderbird been abandoned? Is there some alternative that people are switching to? I have been loving thunderbird for several years and hope I can stick with it, but I can't have my sent items disappearing.

Thanks for feedback!
Kenny
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,877 posts.

14-Jan-2013, 10:44 AM #2
The current version of Mozilla Thunderbird is 17.0.2.

If there is a fix for your problem it is more likely to be in version 17 than in 3.whatever.
Computer Specs
Member with 162 posts.

14-Jan-2013, 10:51 AM #3
yeah, the reason I haven't updated is because I found that the style and some plug ins that I really like aren't compatible with later versions. Thanks for the suggestion, I may have to trade off... style for functionality
Computer Specs

14-Jan-2013, 11:03 AM #4
I don't know anything about the problem, or why it would only be for a period of time, but you do keep the Sent (and other folders) to a reasonable size and do 'Compact Folders', right?

And, like for any other important data, do periodic backups of messages and address book(s)?
Computer Specs
Member with 162 posts.

14-Jan-2013, 01:06 PM #5
I do backup all my data regularly but with my sent folder and other archives I do have a large accumulation of data. For example, my current sent items folder goes back as far as 2006. I also don't know anything about "compact folders" what is that? But would too much data in a folder be a cause of a month of sent messages being missing? Maybe I need to try archiving some of that data.. thanks again for the feedback.
Kenny
Computer Specs

14-Jan-2013, 03:04 PM #6
Yeah, both Thunderbird and Outlook Express-and I'm sure others--can get tied in knots and refuse to work or do random destructive acts when folders get too large. I can't give a number for "too large" and I don't know if this caused the problem, but it pays to be cautious.

When you delete a message only a pointer to it is actually deleted; the contents actually stay in the folder until you do File - Compact Folders. I cannot remember if Compact Folders has always been in the File menu, so you may have to look around for it.

I keep very few messages in Sent for very long. If it did I would maybe once a year (or every two or three years as appropriate) create a new Folder (e.g., Sent_2012) and move that year's messages to the new folder.
Computer Specs
Member with 162 posts.

14-Jan-2013, 06:34 PM #7
good advice, thanks!
Computer Specs
Member with 56,086 posts.

14-Jan-2013, 10:11 PM #8
I am like you and want to keep the add-ons.

I have Thunderbird version 3.1.20.

So you should be able to go up to 3.1.20 and have the add-ons still work.

Also if you have lot of email you want to keep you can back them up to CD.
See Archive & Access Mail on CD
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!