Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Can't access Hotmail!

(!)

Technana Technana is offline Technana has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 29 posts.

Experience: Beginner
20-Jan-2013, 03:27 AM #1
Thumbs down Can't access Hotmail!
Please, please, please, I need help, I can't access my email account (Hotmail)
Apparently it has been taken over by Outlook.com? I created an account but when I try to log on I get an error msg saying I cant log on with that account? I have heaps of emails sitting in my account but can't access them because the account doesn't exist! I can't get email notification sent to me either because again, I cant access the account. Thank you in advance for any support.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 64,041 posts.

20-Jan-2013, 10:55 AM #2
Have you tried logging in to <same account name>@outlook.com (using the same password as you had for hotmail)?
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 55,628 posts.

Experience: Advanced
20-Jan-2013, 11:36 AM #3
Technana:

Here are 2 articles that you might want to read.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Hotma...m-322298.shtml

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Micro...g-322499.shtml

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by flavallee; 20-Jan-2013 at 12:34 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 29 posts.

22-Jan-2013, 03:50 AM #4
Thanks for getting back to me. I am totally pissed off right now. So what has happened is, Microsoft have blocked my Hotmail because I didn't upgrade to Outlook. I saw the post on my Hotmail page for a couple of weeks but was happy with Hotmail not realising at the time that if I didn't upgrade my Hotmail will be blocked. For the people that did upgrade to Outlook can have their Hotmail account unblocked but for the others such as myself can"t which is totally insane because if it can be unblocked for some it can be unblocked for all. How hard is it? Microsoft are just being pigheaded! For me to get Outlook I have to purchase it and it costs over $100 so that's not going to happen. I hear some people out there are probably saying "harden up and get another email account" but that's not the issue, they shouldn't have the right to just take something from you like that and block you. It should be your choice who you have an email account with"
So thank you for your advice but unfortunately it won't work, I tried that already.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 55,628 posts.

Experience: Advanced
22-Jan-2013, 10:05 AM #5
I dropped MSN Hotmail a long time ago and switched to Google Mail for web-based mail.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs

22-Jan-2013, 10:38 AM #6
Quote:
For me to get Outlook I have to purchase it and it costs over $100 ...
What??? Are you talking about the long time (Microsoft Office) email client "Outlook"? If so, I don't understand what this has to do with inability to access your hotmail.com account.

Quote:
Microsoft have blocked my Hotmail because I didn't upgrade to Outlook.
I also do not understand this, but maybe Microsoft is trying a new tactic with some people or in some locations. I'm sure that everybody with a hotmail.com or live.com account has been urged to "upgrade" to the new outlook.com. Mostly this is just a different "improved" web interface. Some people have said that their hotmail.com account has been "upgraded" to outlook.com without their permission, but you are the first person to say that their account has been blocked.

What exactly happened when you tried what I suggested in post # 2?
Trusted Advisor with 30,568 posts.

22-Jan-2013, 05:44 PM #7
Technana, as you can see we are not understanding correctly so what I did was I have a hotmail account and saw the following:

I was able to log into www.hotmail.com normally.
I was able to click on the upgrade account and it changed my format to the new "Outlook.com" format. (Format is simliar to Windows 8 Mail)

When I go to outlook.com it goes to the live.com login screen like Hotmail.
When I do log in however, it asks about do I want to deliever only secure information., to which I hit no.

Is this what you are using? If you are trying to use Outlook on your computer, you don't need to. Simply use the browser.
Computer Specs
Member with 29 posts.

22-Jan-2013, 06:39 PM #8
Hi I have copy and pasted what happens when I try to log into Hotmail:

This account can't be used to access Outlook.com
You're currently signed in with an Office 365 email account, which can't be used with Outlook.com. Please click here to sign out of your Office 365 account, then use another Microsoft account to sign in to Outlook.com (for example, your hotmail.com, live.com, or msn.com account).

It doesn't make sense because it's telling me in brackets to sign in with my hotmail.com and thats what I did to get that pop up window?
I also copy and pasted this off the Microsoft website:
With Microsoft Outlook Hotmail Connector 32-bit, you can use Microsoft Office Outlook 2003, Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 or Microsoft Office Outlook 2010 to access and manage your Microsoft Windows Live Hotmail or Microsoft Office Live Mail accounts, including e-mail messages, contacts and calendars for free!

The only problem with downloading the Outlook Hotmail Connector is, you need to have a Microsoft program that is above Home and Student because that doesn't come with Outlook. So if you don't have Outlook already you can't connect to it because it doesn't exist. I only have Home and Student 2010, I could purchase Outlook but won't because of the price. Yet I can buy Microsoft Professional on eBay for under $100 which comes with Outlook. It's just a big s**t fight. They are trying to force people to go with Microsoft and not Google but this is going to force people to go to Google because right about now Microsoft sux!

I am expecting an email from Tech support @ Microsoft which I was told will take up to 3 days????????? In relation to my arguing black and blue with the poor guy on the phone whose only doing his job and following protocol that my account can be unblocked?
Computer Specs
Member with 29 posts.

22-Jan-2013, 07:22 PM #9
Hi James, in response to your comment "I was able to log into www.hotmail.com normally", this is what happens when I try to log into my Hotmail:

This account can't be used to access Outlook.com. You're currently signed in with an Office 365 email account, which can't be used with Outlook.com. Please click here to sign out of your Office 365 account, then use another Microsoft account to sign in to Outlook.com (for example, your hotmail.com, live.com, or msn.com account).

Which doesn't make sense because I was trying to log into Hotmail which is shown in brackets?
But yeah I get it now, if you already have Outlook as a part of your Microsoft Professional for example you can link the two and still access Hotmail. I only have Home and Student which doesn't come with Outlook so that's why I can't access my Hotmail. If I buy Outlook on it's own it's over AU$100 and yet I could buy Microsoft Professional on eBay for under $100 which will have Outlook, but am not about to do that. You must have Outlook? Is that right?

Also during my many hours on my computer trying to find a way around this (which I now know there isn't a way around it) I discovered this:

With Microsoft Outlook Hotmail Connector 32-bit, you can use Microsoft Office Outlook 2003, Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 or Microsoft Office Outlook 2010 to access and manage your Microsoft Windows Live Hotmail or Microsoft Office Live Mail accounts, including e-mail messages, contacts and calendars for free!
Computer Specs
Member with 29 posts.

22-Jan-2013, 07:25 PM #10
Thanks for replying, yes well it looks like I will be forced to do that too. You might want to read my other replies to have a better understanding of what all the drama is about
Computer Specs

22-Jan-2013, 08:06 PM #11
I don't know anything about Office 365 email accounts nor about Microsoft Outlook Hotmail Connector so will have to bow out. Sorry, I thought you just had a run-of-the-mill Hotmail account. Good luck.
Account Disabled with 169 posts.

22-Jan-2013, 08:14 PM #12
If your e-mail address. <something>@hotmail.com, you should be able to access it by going to www.outlook.com. Then enter your entire e-mail address (<something>@hotmail.com>) as the user name, and enter your Hotmail account password.
Computer Specs
Member with 29 posts.

22-Jan-2013, 08:18 PM #13
Thanks for that, yes I "did" have a run of the mill Hotmail account but now you can't use it unless you have Outlook because Microsoft have merged them, hence the Microsoft Outlook Hotmail Connector software. Thanks for your support have a good day/evening.
Computer Specs

22-Jan-2013, 08:28 PM #14
Maybe I won't bow out. What about that error message you quoted:
Quote:
This account can't be used to access Outlook.com. You're currently signed in with an Office 365 email account, which can't be used with Outlook.com. Please click here to sign out of your Office 365 account
Computer Specs
Member with 29 posts.

22-Jan-2013, 08:29 PM #15
I can't do that because I don't have Outlook. It isn't free, if you don't have it with your Microsoft software on your computer which I don't (Home and Student) you have to pay for it.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!