Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: How to update Bookmarks in Firefox

(!)

Member with 435 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-Jan-2013, 03:54 PM #1
Solved: How to update Bookmarks in Firefox
Since I have added many bookmarks to my list in the past year,I have tried going to several sites to find out how to save that new list .None has helped me do it. I want to be able to get to it in case I lose what I have now. I'd also like to put them on a flash drive.

How do I do that?

Thanks in advance.
Computer Specs
Member with 443 posts.

20-Jan-2013, 05:07 PM #2
I find the easiest way with Firefox when its working right and you have the passwords, links and bookmarks as you want them is to save all the settings.Type %appdata% into the run box locate the mozilla folder,copy it and paste it to your flash drive.To restore just replace the folder.
Member with 435 posts.

20-Jan-2013, 08:21 PM #3
What and where is the "run box?"
Computer Specs
Moderator with 64,041 posts.

20-Jan-2013, 09:17 PM #4
One way to bring up a Run box is < Windows logo> + r
Computer Specs
Member with 55,547 posts.

20-Jan-2013, 10:22 PM #5
Get "Toolbar Buttons 1.0" add-on for Firefox and then you can drag an Profile folder to the Toolbar and all you need to do is click on it to open your Profile folder.
http://codefisher.org/toolbar_button/

Once installed you restart Firefox.
Then right click the toolbar and click "Customize".
Then look for a "folder" that will be called "Profile".
Grab the "Profile" folder and drag to the toolbar.
To undo it do the same but drag back to the "Customize" popup.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,001 posts.

21-Jan-2013, 12:32 AM #6
Here is the easiest way to back up firefox bookmarks and restore them. Go to the bookmarks icon in the top right hand corner. Click on it and select view bookmarks toolbar. At the top, it says import and backup. Click on it and select export bookmarks to html. Choose where you want to save it. Then, take the file to the other computer (I'm assuming you want to take them to another computer) and go through the same process, except this time choose import bookmarks from html. Then, you will select wherever the file is and have all the bookmarks. This is the easiest and fastest way to do it; takes like a minute.
Member with 435 posts.

21-Jan-2013, 04:31 PM #7
You're both most kind but I guess it's not simple enough. I did restart my computer after adding "Toolbar Buttons 1.0 add-on for Firefox."At one point I found all the little boxes from which I chose Profile and took it up to what I thought was the toolbar. Now it isn't anywhere, not at its source and not at the top of my screen.

I don't see any bookmarks icon in the top right hand corner of my screen so I can't get to Import and backup etc..............

I guess it's just not simple enough for me since I have been trying for almost an hour, or perhaps I will just have to try it another day when my frustration lessens.

Once again, thanks for trying.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,001 posts.

21-Jan-2013, 04:49 PM #8
Going back along with my post. A different way to get there is to click the firefox icon in the top left hand corner. From there, click bookmarks then show all bookmarks. Then, follow the rest of my previous post.
Computer Specs

21-Jan-2013, 04:54 PM #9
If you want to export bookmarks and you have a fairly recent Firefox (current is 18.0.1) and use the Menu Bar: Bookmarks - Show All Bookmarks - Import and Backup - you should be able to find your way from here.

This is equivalent to purduebmaker7's advice, but I do not see or know about the "bookmarks icon in the top right hand corner."
Trusted Advisor with 4,904 posts.

21-Jan-2013, 05:19 PM #10
To back up your bookmarks:

Easy way to open the Profile folder.
In Firefox, click Help>Troubleshooting Information.
On the Troubleshooting Information page, click the "Show Folder" button in the Application Basics section. The folder that opens is your Profile.

In the Profile folder, copy the "bookmarkbackups" folder (put it on a flash, external drive, or burn it to CD). The JSON files it contains are the automatic backups created by Firefox for the last 5 days. Each JSON is a complete copy of your bookmarks.

To restore your bookmarks, click Bookmarks>Show all bookmarks. This will open the Library.
On the Library, click Backup and Restore>Choose File.
Browse to the bookmarkbackups folder you saved and select one of the JSON files (the date of it's creation is in the name).
OK the "replace current bookmarks" and you're done.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,001 posts.

21-Jan-2013, 06:10 PM #11
On my FF, on the navigation bar all the way to the right after it are two icons: a home button and a bookmarks button. I thought this was on everyone else's FF, but I guess not and that's why I said go to the firefox icon in the top left hand corner. All FF should have that.
Computer Specs

21-Jan-2013, 06:23 PM #12
purduebmaker7, I think there are some dependencies on several settings. For example, on mine the Firefox icon in the extreme upper left has nothing Firefox specific--just Close, Maximize, Minimize, etc. I have Menu Bar, Navigation Toolbar and Bookmarks Toolbar all selected. If I un-select one or more of those I suspect I'll start seeing what you do.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,001 posts.

21-Jan-2013, 06:28 PM #13
Damn. That's weird. Can you get him to the show all bookmarks windows then. I'm guessing his firefox looks more like yours. Have you customized your FF? Because I haven't. I have the latest version and haven't ever customized the look of it.
Computer Specs

21-Jan-2013, 06:31 PM #14
We've given him half a dozen ways to backup/export bookmarks; maybe one will click for him.

Only customization I have done is in the View menu--selected the three items I listed above and un-selected "Tabs on top." Now it has the "old fashioned" look where you can find stuff relatively easily.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,001 posts.

21-Jan-2013, 06:37 PM #15
Ours must look way different, because I have no idea where this view menu is. This is what my screen looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: How to update Bookmarks in Firefox-firefox.png  
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!