Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: changing email service provider - keeping BT Broadband

(!)

Member with 139 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
23-Jun-2013, 02:30 AM #1
Smile Solved: changing email service provider - keeping BT Broadband
I don`t want to change my ISP which is BT. I have been using BT Yahoo with Windows Mail more or less satisfactorily for some time but I have a new computer and have upgraded to Windows 7. I don`t like Windows Live Mail and am having trouble connecting this service to my present free BT Yahoo Account. In addition BT is severing connection with Yahoo and it is not at all clear what the result will be.

Windows Live Mail is refusing to send emails because of a problem with SSL connections. It doesn`t seem to make any difference whether I tick the boxes or not because SOME emails need SSL and some don`t.

My own feeling is best way out is to get a paid Yahoo account but I am not sure what will happen to my BT emails if I do that. I have copies of all the ones that matter on the backup Vista hard drive we took out of the computer so that is not too much of a problem provided I copy any recent emails that matter.

Could I still use the BT email address ? Most of the info on the web is for people who want to leave BT broadband. I share this connection with my husband and have no wish to change the ISP.

Can anyone explain my options ? I have just about got my head round the difference between an ISP, and Email Service Provider and an Email "Client" . I am interested in the Yahoo Paid Account because it would enable me to forward emails off the web based site and this seems more secure to me.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 52,048 posts.

23-Jun-2013, 12:01 PM #2
what do you not like about windows live mail as a client - it can connect to any email service - so the question is more about the way the program works rather than the email service provider

thundebird is an excellent free email client ( again, that just means a program on the PC that can connect to email services)

as far as changing email - I usually recommend getting a google gmail account as that does not matter who the ISP is - its free , has loads of storage can be used with clients on the PC in imap and pop and so with imap can sync mulitple devices - phones and desktop etc

to use a client on the PC with yahoo- you need to have a paid for account
Quote:
My own feeling is best way out is to get a paid Yahoo account but I am not sure what will happen to my BT emails if I do that
sorry, i dont know - so a member who knows will need to reply
Quote:
. I am interested in the Yahoo Paid Account because it would enable me to forward emails off the web based site and this seems more secure to me.
forward the email to where ?
Member with 139 posts.

24-Jun-2013, 05:55 AM #3
Thanks for trying. I have given way and upgraded to a Yahoo paid account and the emails have now come through to Windows Live Mail.

I would like to be able to forward my emails from Yahoo to gmail and from gmail to Windows Live but the link from gmail settings to POP/IMAP forwarding is missing. I gather this is a very common blip on gmail. Can anyone give me a simple way round it.

Thanks again to all who answer my questions !
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,781 posts.

24-Jun-2013, 08:04 AM #4
Quote:
I would like to be able to forward my emails ... from gmail to Windows Live
By Windows Live you mean the email client, right? You can't forward messages to an email client. If you want to access your gmail account from Windows Live you make the appropriate settings in gmail (using web access) and then add the account to Windows Live. In the web access to gmail click on the gear icon in the upper right - Settings - Forwarding and POP/IMAP - and make the setting(s) you prefer to either POP or IMAP. See attachment (that I initially forgot).
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: changing email service provider - keeping BT Broadband-capture.jpg  

Last edited by TerryNet; 24-Jun-2013 at 08:05 AM.. Reason: add forgotten attachment
Member with 71 posts.

24-Jun-2013, 02:03 PM #5
Could I still use the BT email address ? - Yes

I wouldn't worry about the Yahoo bit. If BT are going to use another email host, then wait for BT to update you about what to do with the account settings. I wouldn't pay for Yahoo as well as paying for BT ISP provision.
Member with 139 posts.

24-Jun-2013, 05:15 PM #6
Thanks very much. I do seem to be going round in circles.

Windows Mail is NOT receiving or sending mails so I am still using Yahoo - and I am now paying for it.
I have managed to send emails to Yahoo email address from gmail address and vice versa. I will try adding the gmail account to Windows Live.

I have been trying to add an additional address to gmail as I really want to get away from using my proper name as an email address eventually. However, I have had 2 more problems (! sorry).

First, my gmail home page or whatever you call it is missing the POP/IMAP; forwarding icon. And secondly, when I try to add a new email address, there is nowhere to put the address for verifying the new address. Or am I missing something very obvious.

Thanks for replies. Kept me sane !
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,781 posts.

24-Jun-2013, 05:24 PM #7
Quote:
First, my gmail home page or whatever you call it is missing the POP/IMAP; forwarding icon.
Are you referring to my post and attachment? If so, I am showing the Settings page--obtained by clicking on the gear icon and then on Settings. Does your Settings page include the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab?
Member with 139 posts.

25-Jun-2013, 02:20 AM #8
changing email service provider - keeping BT Broadband
No it doesn`t. I gather from surfing this is not such an uncommon problem but the solutions offered were too complex for me to follow. Windows Live Mail seems to be asking for the user name and password of Yahoo or gmail but doesn`t respond to either.
Computer Specs

25-Jun-2013, 03:49 AM #9
just to confirm you have a gmail email account and also a paid for yahoo plus account

Heres the settings for POP on a yahoo account
http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=...D_MAIL_CLASSIC

to set up gmail for POP or for IMAP
see here
https://support.google.com/mail/trou..._topic=1669040
Quote:
Select an option below for instructions on how to enable POP or IMAP
I want to enable IMAP
I want to enable POP
Member with 139 posts.

26-Jun-2013, 04:13 AM #10
changing email service provider - keeping BT Broadband
Thanks.

After more rummaging around this morning, I think I have found the source of the problem.

When I first had a computer it was linked by wireless to my husbands and he set up the BT Yahoo account as the primary holder and I only had a sub account.

I managed to link Windows Live Mail to the BT account this morning by typing in my husband`s user name and password and was able to add my own email addresses. But the crazy result is I am now getting HIS emails into my Windows Live Mail and none of my own.

As I have set up a Yahoo Primary Account of my own, can I leave BT Yahoo Mail without losing the Yahoo one.
I need it at least for the time being as it seems to be the only one working. If my husband just cancelled all my sub accounts would that do the trick ? I would need to save any important email stuff first but most of those I have on a previously saved hard drive.

This shortcut is turning out to be a very long way round !

I think I will take for my motto TSEliot`s words "We are only undefeated because we have gone on trying !"
Computer Specs

26-Jun-2013, 03:19 PM #11
Quote:
As I have set up a Yahoo Primary Account of my own, can I leave BT Yahoo Mail without losing the Yahoo one.
sorry - so many accounts mentioned now not sure which one this refers to - yours, husbands , sub accounts

i'm afraid I do not know the yahoo structure well enough or understand the sub accounts - so i probably cant help much more here
Member with 139 posts.

27-Jun-2013, 01:29 AM #12
Smile changing email service provider - keeping BT Broadband c
Quote:
Originally Posted by etaf View Post
sorry - so many accounts mentioned now not sure which one this refers to - yours, husbands , sub accounts

i'm afraid I do not know the yahoo structure well enough or understand the sub accounts - so i probably cant help much more here
Thanks for everyone`s efforts. I phoned BT help line and someone took over my computer on line and it is now sorted. In case anyone is following this, I mistakenly thought I had upgraded my account away from BT Yahoo but all I had done was upgraded a sub account to the next level. Friend changed my passwords and got rid of some duplications I made in my efforts to solve things. I will leave things alone until BT closes the link to Yahoo and see what happens then.

Windows Live is now working. BT Yahoo is working.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
emails

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!