Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Setting New Tab search engine in Firefox

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 101 posts.

Experience: 3 years relative beginner
02-Jul-2013, 01:08 AM #1
Setting New Tab search engine in Firefox
The title says it all......I need to set a preferred search engine for new tabs in Firefox. This became an issue when I was advised that I had an outdated version of Firefox and upgraded to the newest. I lost the setting for my default browser when I open Firefox. I've managed to reset it to Google and that's fine. I'm having no luck setting any search engine for New Tabs. I've tried Tools>Add-Ons>Add Google search to New Tab page 1.0.2. At this point, I'm stuck.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,037 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
02-Jul-2013, 11:47 AM #2
In your Address bar type about:config and click Go. OK the warning about messing in the config.
In the filter bar type browser.newtab.url.
Right click it and click Modify.
Enter the address of whatever you want to open in a new tab, eg. http://www.google.com/ or simply about:home for the Firefox start page that has the google search bar and your FF controls.
Computer Specs
Member with 101 posts.

02-Jul-2013, 04:00 PM #3
Thanks for the reply, Throoper. You've solve a couple of issues for me in the past and I really appreciate it.

As far as this problem goes, I've tried typing about_:config into the address bar, but when I push go, I get a screen advising that it's an invalid URL. Also, in your instructions, you mention typing something in the filter bar. I'm sorry, but I've never heard the term filter bar before.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 67,271 posts.

02-Jul-2013, 04:11 PM #4
There is no underscore in about:config
Computer Specs
Member with 101 posts.

02-Jul-2013, 04:22 PM #5
Ah, maybe that will do it.

I made my first attempt referring to the email notification from the forum - "In your Address bar type about_:config and click Go. OK the warning about messing in the config."

I just went back to Throoper's reply on the forum and the underscore isn't there. I guess in future I should make a point of referring back to the original reply rather than the email notification.

In any case, I'll give this a shot. Thanks.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 67,271 posts.

02-Jul-2013, 04:27 PM #6
IMO those email notifications should be used for nothing but alerts. You have to look at the thread to see any edits (including ones made quickly enough that the post is not flagged as being edited) or deletes or additional posts.

Oh, the filter bar is essentially a search bar.
Computer Specs
Member with 101 posts.

02-Jul-2013, 04:36 PM #7
Okay, got to the same point as before, located the search box, typed "browser.newtab.url", but where do I right click? When I right click on the search box, there isn't a Modify function.
Computer Specs

02-Jul-2013, 04:55 PM #8
Right click directly on the browser.newtab.url line. You should get the menu with Modify on it.
Computer Specs

02-Jul-2013, 04:58 PM #9
Here's a screenshot of what you should have.
Attached Thumbnails
Setting New Tab search engine in Firefox-config.png  
Computer Specs

02-Jul-2013, 05:02 PM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryNet View Post

Oh, the filter bar is essentially a search bar.
I guess I dated myself. It was called the Filter bar back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and I was new to Firefox.
Computer Specs
Member with 101 posts.

02-Jul-2013, 05:19 PM #11
The thumbnail helped tremendously. When I followed it's example, with "browser.newtab" in the search box, rather than "browser.newtab.url.", it all started to come together. It seems to work now....Whenever I open a new tab, it comes up as Google.

When I was struggling with the problem this morning, I thought maybe a System Restore might work, so I did one. Unfortunately, it not only didn't give me back my original Firefox browser with the Google stuff intact, it also wiped out the Google page that used to appear when I opened Firefox. So now, I have Firefox search when I open the browser, but Google on the New Tabs. One step forward and two steps back, lol.

I'm going to try searching online for a solution to the newest problem.....I've imposed on you guys more thn enough today. So, I'm going to mark this thread as "Solved", and go on from there. Thank you both for your generosity in sharing your expertise.

Ken
Computer Specs
Member with 56,135 posts.

02-Jul-2013, 05:31 PM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by throoper View Post
I guess I dated myself. It was called the Filter bar back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and I was new to Firefox.
When you got Firefox from floppy's?

Computer Specs

02-Jul-2013, 05:44 PM #13
Surprisingly I like the Firefox Homepage with the google search bar and the Firefox tools below it.
But if you don't like it, you can set whatever page you want as the Homepage.
If you want the regular Google.com just go to that page and then click Tools>Options>General tab,set the drop down next to "When Firefox starts:" to "Show my Home Page", click the "Use current page" button and OK to save the change.
If you don't have your menubar showing (and don't have the Tools menu), just click the Firefox button in the upper left corner and select Options>Options on the menu.

If you have something else you need, just ask.
Computer Specs
Member with 101 posts.

02-Jul-2013, 08:06 PM #14
Thanks, Throoper. When I started investigating solutions for changing back to Google as home page, I discovered that pretty much everything seems to involve the Options feature. My Options page is about four times the normal size, way off center and totally illegible. I was embarassed to come back and bug you guys again so soon, so I asked for a solution in the Mozilla forum, but have had no response.

I just turned on the computer again and discovered that my newly fixed Google-as-search-engine-on New Tabs has disappeared. I'm right back where I started from. I'm so disappointed in the lack of reliability of Firefox that I'm considering going back to IE6 which I never had any grief with.

I'm going to take one more shot at it....I'll devote this whole evening (if I have to) to trying to fix Firefox, but if I can't get it working, I'll be going back to my old browser tomorrow morning. morning.
Computer Specs
Member with 101 posts.

02-Jul-2013, 11:29 PM #15
Further to my post above.....I just found out how to center the Options screen. However, when I click on Tools>Options>General> paste Google URL into Homepage slot> Click OK at the bottom.....It still reverts to Firefox front page.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!