Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Thunderbird send button greyed out - but not on reply

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Advanced
11-Oct-2013, 12:25 PM #1
Question Thunderbird send button greyed out - but not on reply
The send button is greyed out on Thunderbird for all accounts when I create a new email, or forward. Reply works fine. This was working just fine until 2 days ago, no apparent system changes (yes, I know that's usually a lie). Windows 7, sysinfo below. The spell check button is also greyed out when the send button is. The most recent symptom is Thunderbird going non-responsive at random times.

I've tried removing/reinstalling as well as renaming the various appdata thunderbird directories and then installing to create a new profile - same problem. This leads me to believe it's something somewhat subtle external to thunderbird, but nothing else seems broken. There are postings from a couple of years ago on various forums about one particular extension causing this - never used it.

Any diagnostic/solution ideas would be most appreciated.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 520 @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 5
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 7987 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, -326 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 121793 MB, Free - 18349 MB;
Motherboard: LENOVO, 2537GH6
Antivirus: McAfee VirusScan Enterprise, Updated and Enabled
Computer Specs
Member with 1,419 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
11-Oct-2013, 12:41 PM #2
What version of Thunderbird are you on? Click on 'Help' and then 'About Thunderbird' to see the version. The latest version is 24.0.1

Make sure [for some reason] you are not working 'Offline'.

Last edited by Koot; 11-Oct-2013 at 01:28 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 3 posts.

11-Oct-2013, 01:54 PM #3
Version is 24.0.1 which is the latest. It's not offline - remember the send button works for reply, but not forward or new mail, so it's nothing to do with on/offline
Computer Specs
Member with 1,419 posts.

11-Oct-2013, 02:12 PM #4
Does the mail you intend sending have an image in it, or attached? I recall there being a problem one time with an image re-sizing extension. Nevertheless, I would try temporarily disabling the extensions you have for Thunderbird and see if one of them (that may have just recently auto-updated) may be causing the problem.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 67,256 posts.

11-Oct-2013, 02:18 PM #5
Apparently a company computer. You should be looking for help from your IT department.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,419 posts.

11-Oct-2013, 02:30 PM #6
gmhyman, you are not the only one experiencing this same exact problem from as recent as four days ago.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,419 posts.

11-Oct-2013, 02:47 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhyman View Post
Version is 24.0.1 which is the latest. It's not offline - remember the send button works for reply, but not forward or new mail, so it's nothing to do with on/offline
The common denominator with the Send button being grayed-out on 'Forward' and 'New' mail is that you need to add one or more email addresses (in the To: line) for the mail to be sent to the recipient(s)...whereas when you 'Reply' to an email the recipient's [known good] email address is already applied to the To: line. That said, it appears something is amiss when trying to add an email address, or something is amiss with the email address itself you're attempting to add.

I assume you are applying (adding) an email address for the mail to be sent to someone. I am guessing when you are attempting to add an email address you are doing so from the Address Book. Have you tried manually adding an email address to see if that makes the 'Send' button re-appear?

Have you changed, copied or transferred the Address Book or any addresses in the Address Book recently, which may have caused something pertaining to the addresses you have in the Address Book to become corrupted or misapplied?
Computer Specs
Member with 3 posts.

11-Oct-2013, 03:03 PM #8
Dammit you're right - when I fill in an address, it works. This appears to be a small behavior change that came in 24.0. Now I really feel stupid. Much thanks.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,419 posts.

11-Oct-2013, 03:43 PM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhyman View Post
Dammit you're right - when I fill in an address, it works. This appears to be a small behavior change that came in 24.0. Now I really feel stupid. Much thanks.
Glad to know it is working properly...
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
thunderbird

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!