Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

find email from someone else using my computer

(!)

Junior Member with 1 posts.

19-Apr-2003, 01:56 PM #1
Unhappy find email from someone else using my computer
I am new at using computers and found your website by searching. I use a lap top for my personal business I also use it for my personal email. I have let a so called friend borrow computer to work on a research project. We I walked in one day and startled him while he was on his email. I have got some strange calls at my place latly and strange items in my history. I believe he is doing something illegal. Is it possible for me to access his email account to find out prior to calling authorities. Is their some way to look his email up on my computer if so please help.

Sincerely,

kewlsail
Senior Member with 1,058 posts.

19-Apr-2003, 02:52 PM #2
Welcome to TSG!

Hmm, you want to access his email account remotely from another PC? Smells like hacking, which I'm sure you are aware, is against the law (in the UK it's against the Computer Misuse Act), and therefore we can't really tell you how to do this. Or come to think of it, would want to. I think it would maybe be better if you confronted this person about it, rather than trying to hack into his email.

Do you you have the laptop back in you're possession? If you do, we could help you access any older emails that are still on the system (possibly even ones he thought he deleted) and might be able to advise on any signs of hacking, virus writing et cetera. As I said, I'm not willing to risk my account here being terminated by teaching you how to hack (if I could, that is) and I don't think anyone else will, so that's a no-no. But hacking into you're own computer is perfectly okay...
Senior Member with 1,058 posts.

20-Apr-2003, 06:26 AM #3
Kewlsail replied to my post via email. It's best to reply here so that others can help you too.

Quote:
I didnt know it was illegal im sorry i just dont want to be responsible. Yes I have my computer back. If you can help let me know.
Anyway, could you tell us what sort of email account he has? If he has a POP3 account which he has set up on you're computer (which he would access through Outlook, Outlook Express, Eudora et cetera), it might be possible to retrieve files previously "deleted." When you empty the recycle bin, the files remain on you're hard-drive until it comes to a point where there isn't any more space, and that's when Windows overwrites these files, making the first totally unrecoverable.

If you/he hasn't written too much to the hard-drive recently, there are programs which could get these files back. This one might be what you're looking for. I think you would need to look for *.eml files

If it's a web-based account, like Hotmail or Yahoo Mail, it's a bit more difficult, as all of his mail would be stored on a remote server, and doesn't get downloaded like POP3 email.

We'd also be interested to know what these "strange" items in you're history and the calls you'd been getting. These may help to find out what he'd been doing.

I hope this helps you.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!