Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Why can't I stay logged in

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

03-Oct-2003, 11:47 PM #1
Why can't I stay logged in
I had to reformat my PC about a month ago, after reinstalling I can't stay logged into my forums all the time. What I mean is when you sign into a forum you can check the box that says stay logged in, by checking it your logged in indefinately even after I reboot. Now when I check that box I can only stay logged in until I have to reboot then I have to go back and log in again after rebooting. BEfore when checking those boxes I was logged in for months without doing anything. This is annoying cos I belong to over 12 forums and its a pain having to login after every reboot. Can you help please
Holley
Senior Member with 1,244 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-Oct-2003, 02:59 AM #2
Hi ret2go, and welcome to TSG..

This should sort the problem out. Go to Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options and click the Advanced tab. Scroll down to the Security settings and check to see if the Empty Temporary Internet files folder when browser is closed is checked. If so, uncheck it.

You may also want to download roboform. There is a free version and also one to buy. Go for the free one. Follow the instructions to set it up, and you'll never need to worry about this problem, when you occasionally clean your temporary internet cache in the future.

Cheers

Liam
Junior Member with 29 posts.

04-Oct-2003, 04:09 AM #3
it was already unchecked
i see that you have to buy the programme that you pointed out and as i am tight i do not want to pay for it. is there any other reason that my p.c. will be doing this.
thanks in advance
Senior Member with 1,244 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-Oct-2003, 12:01 PM #4
Hi Lee,

The next thing to do is to check your security settings, as they may be too high. Go to Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options and click the Privacy tab. The level of privacy should be set at Medium High (the default level).

If you have it set at High or Block all Cookies then that will mean that a cookie (a small text file that remembers your information, for the next time you visit a web site) sent to you will be blocked.

Concerning Roboform, you have two options (see attached image) the left hand one is free. I use it and so do many people here. Don't worry Lee, apart from it being against forum rules to advertise a commercial product, I wouldn't do it anyway. There are plenty of good programmers out there that produce fantastic stuff for free. So why pay..???? If I can find something good for free, I tell everyone..

Cheers

Liam
Attached Thumbnails
Why can't I stay logged in-roboform-free.jpg  
Junior Member with 3 posts.

05-Oct-2003, 01:14 AM #5
I don't have a button that says privacy
Senior Member with 4,823 posts.

Experience: no longer reading the "dummies" books
05-Oct-2003, 01:26 AM #6
Which version of IE are you running? It sounds like you are running IE 5.0 or 5.5
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!