Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

how can I save messages in bulk from a yahoo group archive

(!)

Member with 48 posts.

06-Dec-2003, 04:59 PM #1
how can I save messages in bulk from a yahoo group archive
I belong to a yahoo group. There are a number of messages in the archive that I would like to save onto my computer, or send to myself via e mail.

I assume I can do this one message at a time, but there are a lot and I'd like to at least send or save threads, or use the control
key or some other method to mark a lot at a time and either save them to a folder or e mail them to myself,

Is this possible

Any suggestions

I probably want to save or e mail 500 or more messages, and it will be a real hassle if I have to do them one at a time
Senior Member with 3,369 posts.

07-Dec-2003, 03:42 AM #2
Here is a quick and easy way to save your emails to a floppy disk, zip drive, or even a folder on your hard-drive.
WARNING! You might have problems if multiple emails have identical subject lines. OE saves the email using the subject line as the name for the file. I am working on this problem, especially in OE6, which has a feature called "combine and decode". As soon as I have worked out some options, I will post them here. (For now, if you have messages with identical subject lines, you should save them to different folders on your drive. Don't delete anything until you are sure you have a copy.)

First, place a shortcut on your desktop for the drive or folder you want to store your email in. To place a shortcut to your A-drive (floppy drive) go into Windows Explorer, right click on the a-drive (it is not necessary to have a disk in it) and select "create shortcut". You will get a warning message that Windows cannot place a shortcut there. It will ask you if you want to place the shortcut on the desktop instead. Click "Yes". Place the shortcut close to one side of your desktop. The shortcut will be named "shortcut to a-drive". If you rename it to "A-drive shortcut" and arrange your desktop alphabetically or use auto-arrange, this should help.

Next, open up your email client, Outlook Express. If it is maximized on your screen, make it smaller by clicking the box next to the X in the top right-hand corner. This will minimize the window so you can see the desktop. Move the window so you can see the a-drive shortcut.

In the pane that lists your emails (address, subject, date received, usually on top of the preview pain) highlight all the messages you want to copy to disk. Ctrl+A will select them all, or hold down the CTRL key and click on just the ones you want to save.

Now, right click on one of the highlighted messages and drag to the shortcut to your A-drive. When you release the button you will be asked whether you want to copy or move the selected files. Select one of the options and you're done. The emails will be copied or moved to your a-drive! (I suggest copy over move just to make sure they all got copied, then delete them from Outlook Express.) The emails are copied to the floppy in eml format, so clicking on one of the stored emails will open Outlook Express so you can read it.

This procedure also works with a zip drive and with folders on your computer. Just create a shortcut to the folder or drive on you desktop and drag them to it instead!

One additional note: After finally getting a CD Rom burner, I found that it will work with that, too. BUT, there is one consideration you must plan for. When burned to a CD, the files are marked with a "Read Only" attribute. When you try to export them back into Outlook, you will get an error message. The workaround for this is to drag them back onto your hard drive, select all of them, and then set the file attributes to "archive" and deselect "read only". Hope this helps!

http://www.steve.maurer.net/tutorial...ving_email.htm
Senior Member with 1,244 posts.

Experience: Advanced
07-Dec-2003, 05:33 AM #3
Hi Al.. and Paul,

Just as an extra suggestion, once you've placed the A Drive shortcut on your desk top, right click it and choose properties. Then click Change Icon. You will find one with a big red A. Select that, and you will have no trouble finding it on your desktop..

Please see attached.

Cheers

Liam
Attached Images
(attached image) 
Senior Member with 3,369 posts.

07-Dec-2003, 09:09 AM #4
An excellent suggestion!
Member with 48 posts.

07-Dec-2003, 11:41 AM #5
This looks like an excellent suggestion, but I think I have a different problem.

The messages I want to save are not on my computer, but in the yahoo groups archive.

I can get to that archive thru yahoo, and look at the messages on that archive.

I can look at them and open them one at a time and then send them to my computer by emailing them to myself.

But I want to do this for a lot of messages, and don't want to send 100's of e mails to myself one at a time.

As I said the e mails are not in my outlook express file but in the
yahoo internet site for my group.

Any suggestions.

Or am I missing something about the previous suggestions.
Member with 38 posts.

Experience: Beginner
06-Sep-2004, 11:33 AM #6
I have been trying to find out how to do this also. I really need to save them bad, and that'll take me forever to save them one at a time, there's thousands.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
17-Sep-2004, 02:31 PM #7
There are a number of Yahoogroups owners/moderators who have the same dilemma. There are a few options which are easy to find if you do a simple search using keywords such as "yahoogroups message archiving". I haven't tried them yet though. There is at least one tool that has been developed to download photo- and file folders from the groups which you can find at http://www.rsbr.de/. The author has already been contacted and he has agreed to work further to add an option to download the messages as well.
It might also help if more people would put pressure on Yahoogroup and demand a solution to work around this problem without any additional programs!
Hope this helps
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
18-Sep-2004, 05:27 PM #8
Another solution (and a 30 day free trial) can be found from http://www.personalgroupware.com/info.htm. Downloads the mails etc. from the archives and exports them as an Access database, if you do not want to register and use the PG tool instead. Only problem is that Yahoo will lock you out after having downloaded a few hundred/ thousand mails, but that seems to be only temporary and after a while you can continue with the downloading again.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!